Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottR

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
I still have a USB Fax modem left over from when OS X supported such things. I'd like to be able to use my Mac to dial numbers--not to talk through the Mac, just select a number in my Contacts or on a website, dial it, and use the phone (FiOS landline) to talk. Is there any way to do this? All the old OS X phone apps seem to be dead. I've seen a tone generator app where you're supposed to hold up the handset so it can hear the tones coming from the Mac's speaker but it works poorly--I'm guessing even modest ambient noise defeats it--so I'd like something that uses the USB modem instead.

I'm still using Mojave but I suppose I'll update at some point, so forward compatibility would be great.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Check out Phone Amego:

I’ve been using this for years, albeit it with a Voip phone. When I had integration problems due to my Voip provider, the developer was very responsive. Integration is great, too… I have an AppleScript so that a custom FileMaker database can automatically make calls with the click of a button, and for incoming calls, an AppleScript passes the phone # to the database so that an appropriate record associated with the number can automatically be displayed.

Also, compatible with Big Sur, and I fully expect it to be compatible with Monterrey.

Reactions: ScottR and Fuchal

ScottR

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Thanks! I dug out my USB modem, only to realize I couldn't find a single telephone cord anywhere; I used to have a bunch clutter up space (collecting them, e.g., whenever buying a MFP with fax or the like) but I suppose I accidentally tossed them in a cleaning fit. Surprisingly hard to find except at a crazy markup (the local Ace Hardware had one for $12) but I just got my hands on one.
Phone Amego seems to do what I need; I just bought it.

Reactions: MikeDr206
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.