Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer landscapes or portraits

• Total voters

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
In an attempt to find out what type of photographs people like, I would like my fellow Mac & Photographers to answer a simple question; which do you prefer... Landscapes or portraits?

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
They both have their own merits, and personally I think you can only choose one or the other on a case-by-case basis. But, if I had to choose the one I shoot more often it would probably be landscape, although I prefer to use off angle shots, with the horizon in the picture not lining up with any horizontal line in the frame, this gives a dynamic effect to the picture.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Or course both have their merits, this world isn't as black and white as that. I shoot 90% portraits, and 10% everything else. It was just a simple unscientific poll.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Out of those two, portraits, definitely. I don't shoot that many landscapes. If your definition of portraits includes insect portraits, then landscapes becomes a fraction of a 10th of a percentage point of my overall shots. :p

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I was thinking about this the other day when someone asked me what kind of photographer I wanted to be and when I really think about it I just want to take photos. To me it doesn't matter if it's a mountain scene, model, little kid or one of my pets, if I feel it will make an interesting image thats what I want to photograph.

Maybe that comes from my lack of experience in photography and down the road I'll find that I have become a certain type of photographer but for now I think I'll would have answer "both" to the poll.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
My question would then be: which mode makes you the most money? If I were to guess the portraits. I personally like landscapes, then architecture, then the ocasional natural portrait. IMO

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
When I need to "work" for my wife it's mostly portraits, but statues in low light, not people.
For fun I prefer landscapes :)

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
It was just a simple unscientific poll.

As opposed to most internet polls, which are properly sampled, rigorously controlled and peer-reviewed.

Sorry, taking the piss...

I'm very interested to know what people predominantly shoot. I chose "landscapes"

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My current equipment, a Nikon dSLR is much more suited to people pictures than to landscapes. It handles fast, focuses fast and so on but the images technical qualities don't begin to compare to the medium format film system I used to shoot with. Back when I used the Mamiya system I shot mostly landscape and table top macros and a few carefully composed studio style portraits.

I've found that the tools I happen to have dictate what i shoot. I'd likely get as many good shots no matter what camera system I used, just that I'd get different shots.

I'm thinking about large format now. I'd use it for "medium distance" landscapes, of trees rocks, plants and water. With the Nikon I miss the ability to make large sharp prints

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
I make most of my money from portraits as I shoot bands & weddings. However I love to do more landscape so I get those wonderful vistas I keep seeing posted on this forum!

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I really don't find myself favoring one over the other. The lack of a "both" option is bothering me way more than it should! :eek:

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
I really don't find myself favoring one over the other. The lack of a "both" option is bothering me way more than it should! :eek:

LOL! Sorry Seenew, that was a deliberate decision not to have a "both" option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.