Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonotis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Hi there.

I've been scratching my head why Apple or someone hasn't come up with a lanyard or loop that would attach directly to the lightning port (just like the Remote Loop for the Apple TV remote).

The only lanyards I've found require a case, or, if not, a metal plate with screws (for older iPhones).
There doesn't seem to be anything simple or elegant for the iPhone 7/8/X .

Has anyone seen anything like this ?

jaymulli95

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
I wouldn't use anything like that with the lightning port. It wouldn't stay in for a start and it wouldn't take long to break the port, they are very fragile

bonotis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Very true, but I did a small experiment: I used a lightning cable as a make-shift lanyard.
1. It holds the iPhone just fine, without even having the little retaining teeth that the ATV Remote Loop has
2. I really can't see how/why it would damage the port any more than what is already happening every time we plug / unplug our phones on a lightning dock.

jaymulli95

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
I just think it’s going to add unnecessary stress to the port. You see lots of people with 2 year old phones reporting their lightning port has stopped working, they are only rated to a certain amount of plug ins and that’s on the assumption it’s staying still

Reactions: bonotis

Garemlin

Suspended
Oct 13, 2018
Don't know if you are dead set against a case. But most Ringke cases have a spot on the bottom side for a lanyard. They have some pretty slim cases too.

Reactions: bonotis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.