Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I've not yet bought any of the "digital frame" devices (upload your pictures and they display on the screen hanging on the wall).

I am considering one for a display of my work in an office environment, but need at a MINIMUM 8/10 size and very high quality display.

Anyone have comments on these?

thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've not yet bought any of the "digital frame" devices (upload your pictures and they display on the screen hanging on the wall).

I am considering one for a display of my work in an office environment, but need at a MINIMUM 8/10 size and very high quality display.

Anyone have comments on these?

thanks!

They are very easy to find as they seem to be sold everywhere but the part about "very high quality display" is going to be hard. Most aren't. If you are the type of person who has a calibrated computer monitor and wants the color to be exact then you will have to work at it by trail and error. The last picture frame I loaded display the images with way to much contrast and all the dark tones were blocked out to pure black. The trick is to apply an "inverse correction" so the look bad on the computer monitor but good in the picture frame. Aperture is a good tool. you can exteriment using one image them do a "lift and stamp" to all the other files.

For casual use the frames are "good enough" for most people. Just be sure and read the specs on the box not all 8x10 frames have the same number of pixels. The pixel count can vary by a factor of four. The Kodak brand seemed to be the best but this changes so fast models change every few months.

Do you want 8x10? most seem to be 16:9 ratio now. Not bad because it is cloer to my camera's 3:2 format than is 8x10. For best results in either case you will have to crop you images to and down scale them all to match the picture frame.

The good news is that now you have a use for those old 32MB CF cards

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I was hoping there would be a brand or model that is designed for critical viewing rather than grandma or baby sis sticking their cell phone camera cards into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.