Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jupiter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
The Lake District, England
Im sorry about this guys, I know you get bombarded by these threads all the time but I just wanted some last minute opinions on this setup I'm about to buy. Im an Architecture student studying in the UK and need (well, mostly want!) a decent camera (and lenses) to fit my subject. So here goes, my choice is...

Canon 400D (rebel xti)
Canon EF-S 10-22mm
Canon Ef 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM II

If you feel there are any better alternatives or have some general tips for shooting architecture please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

J

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
The EF-S lens would be a much better purchase for architecture photography due to the quality of the optics - large zoom-factor lenses like the 28-105 offer more range, but at the price of barrel / pincushion distortion which is the LAST thing you want with architectural things. The wide EF-S will keep things more true to form, in addition to being a higher quality lens in general.

I'd rather have a number of more specific (maybe even "exotic") lenses that perform great, than to have one "do it all" lens that's simply average.

I'd start out with what you mentioned, and move on from there.

edit: wait, you said your "choice is" then listed those lenses, so I figured you were comparing them? If you're going to get all of the above then it would make more sense haha.

jupiter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
The Lake District, England
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm sorry I didnt make it more clear but yes I was going to buy all of them. The reason I chose the 28-105 is that I was planning to buy only the body of the 400D and then get a good walkabout lens to replace the kit glass and for times when the wide angle would be unsuitable. The reason I chose that certain lens is that I've seen alot of good reviews for it and it seems to be a bargain at that price. Would you recomend a higher quality lens?

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm sorry I didnt make it more clear but yes I was going to buy all of them. The reason I chose the 28-105 is that I was planning to buy only the body of the 400D and then get a good walkabout lens to replace the kit glass and for times when the wide angle would be unsuitable. The reason I chose that certain lens is that I've seen alot of good reviews for it and it seems to be a bargain at that price. Would you recomend a higher quality lens?

I have the first version of this 28-105 f3.5-4.5 (not II). I bought it used, it's like +10 years of age.

I personally hate this lens. But that's just me. I feel like it's really cheap. The manual focus ring responds when it feels like it, etc.

I HATE it. Now in addition to that, because I needed to change lenses a lot, my sensor is dirty. Really disappointed. Maybe all the stuff I'm saying is corrected by version II, but please buy an EF-S if you got the money and dont plan getting a Full Frame.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Im sorry about this guys, I know you get bombarded by these threads all the time but I just wanted some last minute opinions on this setup I'm about to buy. Im an Architecture student studying in the UK and need (well, mostly want!) a decent camera (and lenses) to fit my subject. So here goes, my choice is...

Canon 400D (rebel xti)
Canon EF-S 10-22mm
Canon Ef 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM II

If you feel there are any better alternatives or have some general tips for shooting architecture please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

J

I don't know the costs, but one of the advantages of shooting Canon is their perspective control (PC) or tilt/shift lenses. Unless you're shooting with bellows or some other method of controlling perspective, you'll have to correct for it in Photoshop- I'm not sure how that stacks up to doing it with the lens, but if you don't want your buildings/structures to keystone, then it's going to be one or the other for most street-level shooting.

I'd spend real time looking at the issue if it were me.

I'm not sure how much movement you get with the lenses, since I'd shoot architecture with a large format view camera where real movements are possible, or start looking at alternative arrangements (like the Cambo solution, which isn't anywhere near cheap.)

Photoshop may be a good substitute, at least you'll get student pricing :).

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
The 10-22 has recieved rave reviews. If shopping for lenses, give FredMiranda or DPreview a try.

I remember there's a thread on dpreview about correcting distortion on wide angle lenses that just blew me away. Search for it, you'll not be dissapointed

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Yeah, I think I'd get that lens lineup. It covers a good range and for what you get, the price is good. You have a good wideangle and a good general lens, so I think you're fine.

The only thing I'd recommend is DxO, which can help you correct for keystoning, which is what happens when you're standing in front of huge buildings and take a photo of it. The side edges of the building look like they converge as you look up. because of the low perspective you have of the top of a tall building.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_optics_pro/overview/optics_geometry_corrections/keystoning

Tada, and it's supposed to be fantastic.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The side edges of the building look like they converge as you look up. because of the low perspective you have of the top of a tall building.

Great link, but AFAIK keystoning is because you're moving the sensor plane so it's no longer perpendicular to the face of the building, as you tilt the camera to get the top of the building in the frame. That's why you can generally correct it with a view camera by adding some front rise (to get the top of the building in focus) and back tilt to get the film plane back in line with the face of the building/bridge/whathaveyou.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.