Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EB1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
When I plug my headphones into my late 2008 (the aluminum one) MacBook's audio port, the right channel is louder than the left channel to the extent that it's pretty bothersome. Here are some things that may be relevant:

1. I don't know if one has become louder, or the other has become quieter. All I know is that the volume of the left is quieter than the right.

2. Up until this point the sound would get staticky if the headphones plug was moved around, but now that doesn't happen.

3. For a long time, during the static problem and now as well, the headphone plug comes out of the jack very easily, and if it comes out just the tiniest bit, audio will go back to playing through the built in speakers.

4. I've tried 2 other pairs of headphones, and have still run into the same problem. One of them was USB powered and that didn't seem to make a difference.

I have a usb to audio port device, but that hasn't worked since I've installed el capitan. Aside from that, I've realized that it takes up two usb ports due to its size, which is problematic.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Check out your sound in system preferences if you have not already. There is a balance bar for each input you select. I also have a MacBook 5,1 on El Capitan and the balance bar sometimes changes randomly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 10.43.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 10.43.09 PM.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 131

EB1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Christ almighty, that should have been the first place I checked. It's nice to know that it changes randomly, because I really don't remember going in there and changing it. Odd that the static problem disappeared at around the same time. Must be quite the coincidence I suppose.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the reply. You've really made my day.

Reactions: east85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.