Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
I am a complete novice when it comes to understanding RAM, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I was recently informed that my late 2008 unibody model MBP can now upgrade to 8GB. I am all kinds of ecstatic, but since I don't know anything about memory, I don't know what I need to look for.

About my Mac.
screenshot20111119at101.png

So I googled a bit and I understand that I need to get a DDR3 SDRAM 2 x 4GB kit. I also understand that 1066 MHz has something to do with it (and is it odd that the memory on my shows up as 1067 MHz?), but when I looked for 8GB kits, such as this one, not all of the information is listed (or maybe it is and I just don't understand it). Are the number of pins important?

So in essence, I am asking what I should be looking for when I buy RAM for my MBP? Also, has anyone already done this, and if so, how did it work?

Last edited:

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
I think I started this thread a little too early:

Starting with the Late 2008 MacBook (Unibody only) and MacBook Pro Most New Core Macs (nVidia chipset) use the same DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500) 204 pin SODIMMs. Again, as with previous generations, choosing RAM for one model will work in others. The exceptions here are the Late 2008 White MacBook which retains DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) 200 pin SODIMMs (although there are reports of success with DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) RAM running at full speed in these machines) and the Mid 2009 White MacBook which officially supports DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) 200 pin SODIMMs.

Now my question is whether there's a way to delete this thread.

:eek:

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Bravo!

DDR3 RAM will all be 204 pin - so don't worry about pin count. DDR2 was 200 pin.

Go for it!

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
Thanks, I definitely intend to.

I upgraded to Lion and while I am impressed with it, using Logic Pro and/or Aperture tends to slow my computer down after a while with only 4GB. I'm hoping an upgrade to 8GB will help until I can scrounge up the money for a new MBP.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
8 GB should help.

You could also change your hard drive to a 7200 RPM model, which will give a bit more speed as well. Not cheap at the moment due to flooding in Thailand, but that could be a good next step once prices rationalize.

You could also try going back to Snow Leopard - it seems to be a bit faster than Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.