Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I recently purchased an used MBP, Late 2011 13 inch, and the seller (a friend) told me he bought it off eBay with the keyboard backlight not working. He did what he could, but never got it fixed.

I purchased a new keyboard and backlight, since the old keyboard connector was very loose, not making good contact with the ZIP socket, and giving all sorts of trouble. So, I purchased the keyboard+backlight kit off eBay and replaced the whole thing.

Now, the backlight cable doesn't seem to go all inside the ZIP socket. I've tried everything humanly possible, blasting the socket, squirting electronic cleaner, scratching the inside with a thin wire, trying to dislodge any debris that might have got stuck inside, but still no use. I tried to pull the ribbon cable in using a piece of tape, and that hasn't worked yet.
At first the backlight controls where there on the system preferences, and if I hit f5 and f6, the controls displayed on scree, but now the settings is missing, and pressing the keys does nothing. So I broke more than what was already broken.

Since I removed the logic board to install the keyboard, so I know the procedure already, I'd like to take another shot at it, and try to look inside the ZIP socket while the logic board is out.

Have anyone gone through this? Any tips on fixing it? Or should I simply learn to live without backlight?

Is a real bummer, since I do appreciate to have the backlight when working at night.

Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.