Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TYDCCO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2018
Recently my Late 2011 MBP AMD graphics chip has died. It will not boot into macOS. It gets about half the Apple logo, then disappears and stays on a white screen. The fans also get really loud and the laptop itself gets really hot. Is there any other possible way to disable the graphics card outside of the OS? I have already tried the archlinux boot USB, which gives me an error saying "no Radeon GPU support" I really need help fixing this. The chip is the Radeon 6750M with 512mb of memory.

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
Sorry to hear this. I just bough a 2011 15" Macbook Pro for a really good price. I put in the dual hard drive setup, with 500gb ssd and 1tb hdd and 16gb or ram.
I also took it to have the thermal paste replaced with mx4. I was kinda hoping that by now all these laptops had either already died, or were going to keep on going. Sounds like I'm wrong from your story :(

pratikindia

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2014
My Late 2011 15 MBP has the same issue (again). The logicboard was replaced in April 2015 under free replacement by Apple. You can do one thing to keep it running.

1. Force restart the laptop until it boots. It will take around 30 minutes (varies).
2. Immediately download and install gfxCardStatus. (only Once)https://gfx.io/
3. Run the app and select i .It will enable the integrated Intel GPU.
4. Set the EnergySaver to "High Performace". Disable Sleep under Battery Power and Charging.
5. Never let it sleep. You are good now.
6. Do not QuickLook Videos. Computer will freeze and you have to restart the system.

TYDCCO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2018
My Late 2011 15 MBP has the same issue (again). The logicboard was replaced in April 2015 under free replacement by Apple. You can do one thing to keep it running.

1. Force restart the laptop until it boots. It will take around 30 minutes (varies).
2. Immediately download and install gfxCardStatus. (only Once)https://gfx.io/
3. Run the app and select i .It will enable the integrated Intel GPU.
4. Set the EnergySaver to "High Performace". Disable Sleep under Battery Power and Charging.
5. Never let it sleep. You are good now.
6. Do not QuickLook Videos. Computer will freeze and you have to restart the system.

I will have to give this a try. I will reply with an update as soon as I try this. After 30 minutes, you said it will eventually boot into the OS? I hope it does.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How much does this repair actually cost at Apple?
I'm not sure about the UK but the late 2011 15" is considered a legacy product in Canada and Apple will not accept any of these units for repair.

There is no way to really repair the failed GPU. You can either replace it with an updated revision of the chip and hope that it doesn't fail in the near future or find a replacement logic board; however, the replacement logic board will probably suffer the same fate.

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
Apple replaced my logic board FOUR times over the course of a year and eventually gave me a new laptop. If you can afford it, your best option is to get a new laptop. The 2011 laptops with a dGPU are a waste of time.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Sorry to hear this. I just bough a 2011 15" Macbook Pro for a really good price. I put in the dual hard drive setup, with 500gb ssd and 1tb hdd and 16gb or ram.
I also took it to have the thermal paste replaced with mx4. I was kinda hoping that by now all these laptops had either already died, or were going to keep on going. Sounds like I'm wrong from your story :(

My 2011 15" MBP is still kickin' - original logic board and all that. I did replace the thermal paste and take a can of computer duster to the inside last week as a precautionary measure though.

It still runs quite will with an SSD.

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
My 2011 15" MBP is still kickin' - original logic board and all that. I did replace the thermal paste and take a can of computer duster to the inside last week as a precautionary measure though.

It still runs quite will with an SSD.
That’s reassuring :)
Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.