Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Hi,

I have a macbook pro late 2011 model, OSX 10.11.6, 2.4ghz intel core i5, 16gb ram, 2 internal hard drives (i replaced the cd drive with a sata drive a while ago).

In the last few days I've noticed that when i close the lid and put my mbp to sleep, when i go to open the lid, nothing happens, i have to connect it to the power source and then it reboots. The battery life is high. This has happened a few times.
Also when i restart, it comes on to the desktop and says the date and time need to be reset, then it sets the right time wishing 20 seconds.

I just reset the SMC on it, so i'll see if anything changes.

Anyone got any ideas on what it could be or what to try to get it to stop?

Thanks

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Most likely graphics based on your description. Also your model has a big failure rate for graphics and Apple used to have a repair program for it (though not any more), so I'd definitely wager that's the problem.

Fix would involve a new Logic Board. I wouldn't go for that as refurb parts will eventually exhibit the same issue, so it would be in your best interests to save up for a new computer. In the interim, you can try force through iGPU at all times to hopefully bypass the problem from happening: http://gfx.io/downloads/gfxCardStatus-2.3.zip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.