Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yippykayyay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Hi all,

I have a late 2012 Macbook pro Retina display that used to work fine up until the latest round of updates (2 months prior). Now the computer has been showing issues. Most notably if it falls asleep, the computer will awaken, work for 5 minutes and then crash with the black screen and message.

Restarting the computer means it will boot to about 1/3 of the way done and then the apple logo will flash horizontally across the screen like blinders and disappear and the computer hangs here at 1/3 done.

Resetting the SMC and/or the VRM USED to allow the computer to boot sometimes (but as of yesterday this fix doesn't work).

Took it to the genius bar, they are suggesting a logic board change ($575) but can't say that would fix the problem??? I had them roll the OS back to where it was last stable but stability has not been regained.

yippykayyay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
@Audit13 Yeah! I have that model. A while back the graphics card was messing up so they replaced it so I assume this issue is different?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It could be the same issue again. When Apple replaced the logic boards in the 2011 15" models, they don't seem to have revised the design or updated the GPU chip because some people on Macrumors have had their board replaced a number of times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.