Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLO-Jure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Hi guys.
I have late 2013 iMac, i5, 750M graphic, 8GB ram, standard 5400 RPM HD.

Imac is running slow, opening programs takes ages, Excel 10 sec, Ps 30sec, I get spinning cursor even in basic office programs. I am not a heavy user.

What is causing this, I reinstalled system and It is the same story. I think specs are decent for my use or are Ps and Lr programs to much for my iMac? Is the problem slow HD?

Thank you for your help,
Jure

bigagassi

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Microsoft Office for Mac is super slow on Mac with HDD. I believe Microsoft did that for purpose.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
use a thunderbolt or usb3 enclosure with ssd.
do a full format on ur internal hdd. takes hours possibly.

SLO-Jure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
use a thunderbolt or usb3 enclosure with ssd.
do a full format on ur internal hdd. takes hours possibly.

Should I watch for something?

Would carbon copy program and Samsung 250gb usb3 SSD do the job as a external boot drive?

Thank you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Imac is running slow, opening programs takes ages, Excel 10 sec, Ps 30sec, I get spinning cursor even in basic office programs. I am not a heavy user.
I witnessed the same thing at the Apple store when I was looking at which iMac to buy. I'm not sure I have any suggestions, its not like the iMac is very upgradeable.

torquer

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Hi guys.
I have late 2013 iMac, i5, 750M graphic, 8GB ram, standard 5400 RPM HD.

What is causing this, I reinstalled system and It is the same story. I think specs are decent for my use or are Ps and Lr programs to much for my iMac? Is the problem slow HD?

Thank you for your help,
Jure

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...grade-imac-hard-drive-aluminum-2012-2013.html

SSDs are cheap. That should make an enormous difference if you're brave enough to do the upgrade yourself. Otherwise you can probably find an Apple repair shop that'll do it for you

SLO-Jure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
Is there any performance difference if I use external SSD drive via usb vs opening iMac and replacing original HD?
What external SSD do you recommend?

don´t open the imac.

if u are rich get a 2tb ssd in a thunderbolt enclosure. if you are on a budget get a 256gb ssd in a usb 3 enclosure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.