Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyphergrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2017
Hello,

I am able to purchase a late 2013 27' iMac for $500. Specs are:
  • i5 3.2 ghz
  • 8 GB of ram
  • 1 TB hdd
  • nvidia 755m gpu
It is basically mint condition with no scratches etc. Should I jump on this? I currently have a 2011 mac mini, which is just fine, but the temptation of a good bit more power (casual strategy gaming & web development) is hard. I could then setup the mac mini primarily for my wife's "workstation".

Thanks!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
That's a decent deal for a 2013 27", only thing I would add is an external SSD upgrade because it does make a decent improvement in performance.

xyphergrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2017
That seems like a good idea. I have a USB 3.0 (sabrent) external enclosure already. Would that fit the bill or do you have a recommendation on what I should use enclosure wise?

Thanks agian.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
It will be fine, but as it is going to be running the system suggest looking for a fan equipped enclosure.

When ready to go, simple use cloning software to transfer everything over subject ton you having Sierra or El Capitan running, hook up to the iMac and into System Preferences > Startup Disk and select it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As mentioned above, the price seems to be right.

If you already have a USB3 external enclosure, just buy an SSD to go into it.
I'd suggest Crucial or Sandisk.
You don't have to buy "the fastest", as they will pretty much all give you 430mbps reads in an external USB3 enclosure that supports UASP. Write speeds will vary depending on the particular brand and size of the drive -- expect to see between 275-330mbps.

You -don't need- a fan in the enclosure.
EVERY SSD I've used runs quite cool.
No fans needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.