Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaremarc89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2017
I have a 2013 3.7 GHzMac Pro Updated OS X to Sierra when it came out. It recently started freezing and subsequently crashing when opening Adobe CC as well as iTunes. Will reboot fine but then when the application reopens on start up, it starts the cycle again. I've tried reseating the RAM to make sure it wasn't an issue. Tried a clean install of Sierra. Booting in safe mode allows me to open iTunes. Ran Disk Utility verify/repair disk with no errors found. Ran the hardware check with no issues found. Tried restoring to Mavericks, which it came with and I don't seem to have the same problem. I went ahead and ran an install of El Capitan and the problem is back.

Found that previous shutdown cause -62 unresponsive application.
Here's the Log File I have in Console:

Core: 0
IA32_MC20_STATUS=0xFE200000000C110A
IA32_MC20_CTL=0x0
IA32_MC20_ADDR=0xA0701440
IA32_MC20_MISC=0xDCFC381606802086
Core: 6 7
IA32_MC3_STATUS=0xBE00000000800400
IA32_MC3_CTL=0x0
IA32_MC3_ADDR=0x3F7F8D13FD16
IA32_MC3_MISC=0x3FFFF

I've searched threads and the google to no avail. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If you are getting crashes with a completely fresh install of MacOS, then that's pointing to a hardware problem. A lot of 2013 owners in this thread have KPs that sometimes are introduced by a change in MacOS or go away with a change. You might do some research there or ask there.

Also what you posted doesn't look like KP text to me. It is either very truncated or some other sort of log.

Ghasak

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
[Possible solution]
Dear members of Mac Rumors,
This is my first post here, and I hope I will not disappoint anyone with my attempt to fix this issue with Mac Pro.
I have purchased Mac Pro late 2013 recently, and I exhibited the similar issue with the switching display GPU driver issue. I tried several fixes posted in this thread here, none of them were able to fix the problem.
I hope you will find this fix working for you, as it turns out it's entirely working for me. Now it is almost one month has been passed without any freezing since I used to have three times a day/freezes.
The solution is so simple to be applied. I have no credit for it, except I was digging for this error for a while and I approached it from a different perspective. I am not expert in fixing mac or programming apps that can fix any hardware issues. So, go to this website:
https://gfx.io/switching.html
download the app called "gfxCardStatus" by Cody Krieger (all the credits goes to this guy). Then install it to your mac pro.
go to the icon in the Menu bar up. The Icon is the letter "i", and click this one to use the option
- "Dynamic switching" which is an alias for the built-in automatic graphics switching feature in OSX.
Now I think there is so many testing to get for you guys before we announce its a general solution for this issue so we can sleep happy after.
I am looking forward to hearing from you guys, and I wish the best to all of you.
again, this solution is not presented anywhere else, and its working for me 100%. be careful, everytime you will restart your computer you need to click the icon again and hits "dynamic switching".
my intention with this solution is to share a positive deed to others who suffer from such a problem since we all have been abanded by Apple company. I want to ask you a favor which is, if this solution is working for you then please share with us here your experience so others can get to know it's working.
Good luck and I hope you will find this solution working for you.
If you need further information, please let me know here so I can share with you my thorough analysis on this issue and what I think is the main reason causing such hardware issue.

Seasaw

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
[Possible solution]
Dear members of Mac Rumors,
This is my first post here, and I hope I will not disappoint anyone with my attempt to fix this issue with Mac Pro.
I have purchased Mac Pro late 2013 recently, and I exhibited the similar issue with the switching display GPU driver issue. I tried several fixes posted in this thread here, none of them were able to fix the problem.
I hope you will find this fix working for you, as it turns out it's entirely working for me. Now it is almost one month has been passed without any freezing since I used to have three times a day/freezes.
The solution is so simple to be applied. I have no credit for it, except I was digging for this error for a while and I approached it from a different perspective. I am not expert in fixing mac or programming apps that can fix any hardware issues. So, go to this website:
https://gfx.io/switching.html
download the app called "gfxCardStatus" by Cody Krieger (all the credits goes to this guy). Then install it to your mac pro.
go to the icon in the Menu bar up. The Icon is the letter "i", and click this one to use the option
- "Dynamic switching" which is an alias for the built-in automatic graphics switching feature in OSX.
Now I think there is so many testing to get for you guys before we announce its a general solution for this issue so we can sleep happy after.
I am looking forward to hearing from you guys, and I wish the best to all of you.
again, this solution is not presented anywhere else, and its working for me 100%. be careful, everytime you will restart your computer you need to click the icon again and hits "dynamic switching".
my intention with this solution is to share a positive deed to others who suffer from such a problem since we all have been abanded by Apple company. I want to ask you a favor which is, if this solution is working for you then please share with us here your experience so others can get to know it's working.
Good luck and I hope you will find this solution working for you.
If you need further information, please let me know here so I can share with you my thorough analysis on this issue and what I think is the main reason causing such hardware issue.
Ghasak, I have a Mac Pro (late 2013) as well that freezes out of the blue and I cannot tie it to a particular program or action that I am doing. This seemed to be a problem with no solution until I came across your post. At any rate, I just viewed the gfxCardStatus page and that seems to be talking about battery life. I apologize for my ignorance but my Mac Pro (late 2013) doesn't have a battery. Are you referring to a MacBook Pro? Any information that you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks

https://gfx.io/

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Post number 3 seems to be talking about the MacBook Pro (2013). At least gfxcardstatus is a utility intended to stop the OS from switching between different types of GPUs if your computer features several (typically iGPU & dGPU).

Reactions: KeesMacPro

Seasaw

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Thanks for all the info but once again I am out of my league on this topic but would really like to stop my machine from freezing. How can I tell which GPUs my computer uses/ features? Are there certain types that cause this problem? Thanks again.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Thanks for all the info but once again I am out of my league on this topic but would really like to stop my machine from freezing. How can I tell which GPUs my computer uses/ features? Are there certain types that cause this problem? Thanks again.

Your machine doesn't do GPU switching, that's a lap....-topic ? .

The machine freezing - assuming you mean it just sits there frozen with the screen still on, mouse pointer no longer moving but without a kernel panic or reboot then I'd say hardware issue. Could be the battery KeesMacPro mentioned, could be something else.

I'd reseat and swap around all the memory modules first and/or try running with less of them to test stability. After that it's a guessing game - maybe the mainboard or power supply. With the trashcan it seems blaming the GPU is the safest bet though. I know I had issues with mine that weren't straightforward to diagnose.

If you are lucky it is indeed the battery - swapping that is quite the project but at least won't dent the wallet much: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Pro+Late+2013+CMOS+Battery+Replacement/21216

Reactions: KeesMacPro

Seasaw

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Okay, I reseated the memory modules a couple of weeks ago but did not swap them around. Wow I had no idea this thing had a battery. Thanks for the link and all of your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.