Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephyr2095

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hi all,

I have a late 2013 retina macbook pro (13 inches) which is still under AppleCare.

The issue with it is that it barely gives me 4 hours of battery life. I usually have a window of safari open with 8-10 tabs and about 2 windows of Preview app. If I take it to the service centre, it passes the diagnostics tests and I'm told that it is fine.

Is 4 hours of battery life normal for a macbook pro which is almost 3 years old?

Thanks

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Hi all,

I have a late 2013 retina macbook pro (13 inches) which is still under AppleCare.

The issue with it is that it barely gives me 4 hours of battery life. I usually have a window of safari open with 8-10 tabs and about 2 windows of Preview app. If I take it to the service centre, it passes the diagnostics tests and I'm told that it is fine.

Is 4 hours of battery life normal for a macbook pro which is almost 3 years old?

Thanks
When producing videos while on battery, mine only lasts for about an hour :(. My battery passes tests too. People go on and on about the specs of the newer models and that they would sacrifice battery life for desktop RAM and extra stuff, but we do not want that to happen.

zephyr2095

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
When producing videos while on battery, mine only lasts for about an hour :(. My battery passes tests too. People go on and on about the specs of the newer models and that they would sacrifice battery life for desktop RAM and extra stuff, but we do not want that to happen.

Yeah, that wouldn't really make any sense. But any idea if this means that my battery isn't fine?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Install Coconut Battery and check the status for yourself. Post it here.
Then, if all is ok, check via energy tab on activity monitor what is it that drains your battery.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yeah, that wouldn't really make any sense. But any idea if this means that my battery isn't fine?

Depends what websites you have open. I have noticed ads on websites causing poor battery life. Even when only 1 tab is open.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
if you go to an apple store and tell them you want the battery replaced and that you will pay for it will apple replace the battery irregardless of what these tests show?

HalloweenMisfits

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Post the Coconut Battery Screen shot and we can see what is going on.

I have a late 2013 MBP retina 13inch and even at almost 300 load cycles, I still get 90% of the original battery capacity.

abrahamw88

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
Rochester, NY
Check your current full charge capacity in the power tab in the System info app. Then compare that to the original factory capacity (around 6600mah for the late 2013 Retina Pro 13" I think). For example, if you have 5500mah of full charge capacity then 5500/6600 = 85%. Which means you still should be getting about 7.5hrs compared to 9hrs from factory.

If you find that you SHOULD be getting more battery life then try restarting and logging into the guest account (which has nothing extra installed). Do some normal web browsing, etc and watch how much better your battery life estimates get. Most people don't realize all the junk they have installed over time but never use anymore. A lot of this stuff eats away at your battery in the background without you knowing.

If you notice improvements from a simple test like this then do a clean reinstall of macOS and only reinstall apps and services that are an absolute essential. Really, question the necessity of everything before you download and install it. If you can't manage to lose stuff during a clean installation then just uninstall and thoroughly delete everything thats non essential. This tends to help but not as much as a clean reinstall.

Reactions: knudsen2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.