Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
NC
I posted previously thinking it was a ram slot issue.

I have swapped around the current ram and all slots work.

I just can’t get it to recognize additional ram. When I install it, I get the beeps.

What can I do?

If specs are needed, it’s a late 2014, 27”, retina, 3.5 i5 quad core, 1tb fusion with 128gb ssd, and I’m running 10.14/Mojave

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
NC
This is it

Attachments

• 54E64136-2D86-4FA6-B509-82D9041B7205.jpeg
    54E64136-2D86-4FA6-B509-82D9041B7205.jpeg
    968.7 KB · Views: 217

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This is it
That looks like the correct RAM. If you're already tried it in different slots and made sure the RAM is seated correctly, one of the sticks may just be bad. Defective RAM does happen, hence there is usually a return policy or warranty.

It would be good idea to try and determine is which one is bad, simply by installing only one of the pair and seeing if it will boot. If it boots with one installed but not the other, definitely a bad stick.

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
NC
That looks like the correct RAM. If you're already tried it in different slots and made sure the RAM is seated correctly, one of the sticks may just be bad. Defective RAM does happen, hence there is usually a return policy or warranty.

It would be good idea to try and determine is which one is bad, simply by installing only one of the pair and seeing if it will boot. If it boots with one installed but not the other, definitely a bad stick.

I tried that and everything else imaginable. Also tried two compatible 4gb sticks. No dice there either. They wouldn’t work in any slot or alone.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The error beeps (set of 3 beeps, repeating every 5 seconds) may mean that you have:
Incorrect/incompatible RAM sticks (The OWC label appears correct), or
The RAM sticks are simply faulty, or
You still have a seating problem with the new sticks.
Consider that you can try booting with single sticks (the memory does NOT have to be in pairs, just recommended for best performance. That can help you find out that only one stick is bad (and not both),
Try testing with a single stick, moving through the slots one at a time.

OWC tech support can be really helpful with your issue. Have you tried contacting their tech support?

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
NC
The error beeps (set of 3 beeps, repeating every 5 seconds) may mean that you have:
Incorrect/incompatible RAM sticks (The OWC label appears correct), or
The RAM sticks are simply faulty, or
You still have a seating problem with the new sticks.
Consider that you can try booting with single sticks (the memory does NOT have to be in pairs, just recommended for best performance. That can help you find out that only one stick is bad (and not both),
Try testing with a single stick, moving through the slots one at a time.

OWC tech support can be really helpful with your issue. Have you tried contacting their tech support?

I have tried using the sticks one per try, and I still received the error beeps

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
But, you said that the original RAM sticks ALWAYS work?

If you are sure that you are seating the new sticks completely (you SHOULD normally hear and feel a quiet "click" when the stick is completely seated), then there's something wrong with that OWC memory. Contact OWC tech support. They may send another set out right away.

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
NC
But, you said that the original RAM sticks ALWAYS work?

If you are sure that you are seating the new sticks completely (you SHOULD normally hear and feel a quiet "click" when the stick is completely seated), then there's something wrong with that OWC memory. Contact OWC tech support. They may send another set out right away.

Yes. I am.

In fact, I tried using another set of memory sticks in the same manner and attempted to slide them in pairs and the single into slots. Pushed until I had a click. Nothing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.