Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve_O

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,
I'm having issues with my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
I'm currently running Mojave 10.14.6
I mostly use the computer for general use and music and audio production. The computer has always been a little unstable and unreliable but lately it has started constantly crashing. Four or five times a day is not unusual at the moment. Sometimes after restarting it will run for fifteen minutes before crashing again. Sometimes it will be just the software that will close, other times the computer will restart, other times inexplicably it will suddenly go back to the account log in page, and after I enter my log in credentials it will then go to a black screen. I've tried using different audio interfaces but that doesn't seem to make any difference. So basically there doesn't seem to be much consistency to it. In the past I have just ignored the crashes, restarted the computer and continued on with what I'm doing, but it's now occurring so frequently that I need to find a solution. Here is a screen shot of the latest crash report, it all means nothing to me but I'm hoping someone on here can interpret what this all means...
Thanks.
crash report.png

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
After 5~6 years of intensive use, the below items need to be taken care of:

- Throrough cleaning inside and re-application of thermal paste (CPU, GPU etc.). Overheating (poor ventilation, heat dispassination) can cause the crash.
- Memory test a half-dead RAM stick may cause the crash as well.
- Software (OS issues). A clean re-installing of Mac OS may help. Try it with an external (USB/TB) device first.

pchung6

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2021
Did you check your memory? Try to run some memory diagnosis test. I just swapped memory on 2011 iMac with 2010 Lenovo Laptop. My iMac started crashing every few hours. I thought it was because I patched to Big Sur. Until I realized memory is running at only 1066Mhz. I put the original ram back, and iMac is fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.