Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Have a Late 2016 MBP 15”. Last week the screen went black while using it. Did SMC, PRAM, VRAM resets. Hooked up to an external monitor and it worked just fine for a few days. NOW nothing happens. Won’t turn on. Won’t make noise, no fans, no blips nor bleeps.

I was prepared to order a new screen/assembly until this. Now I think it’s something else. Bad charger or USB-C connections. Possibly battery? I don’t remember seeing this charge up to 100% when I had it hooked up to an external monitor, but didn’t bother looking. Has been plugged in for days now and tried different USB-Cs out of the 4 on body.

I’m seeing service on eBay with great reviews for replacing the screen and others for diagnostics, repair of the Logic board. As of now, my worst fear is a new logic board and screen, which is pretty much a near new 13"

Anyone have any luck with shipping their laptop to a reputable shop states away? Any thoughts on tools to help me diagnose this?

Thanks

P.S. - Apple doesn't fix flexgate issues on the 15". Not 100% this is a flex cable issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.