Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Since past few years, so much junk has been added to iOS that doing basic things means running through hoops or "Extra Steps" Have you tried transferring a downloaded file on iPhone to a Windows based PC? You cannot just transfer using USB cable. You have to jump through hoops like use email, iCloud, etc, etc.

Reset an app because it is misbehaving or not allowing Sign-out? You cannot do that.

Simple Do Not Disturb? No sir. You need to Focus and change setting from there.

No one feels like iOS is getting complex for no reason and getting filled with garbage... just like Windows?

jdavid_rp

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2020
The reset feature could be ok, but at the same time you can just delete and reinstall it again.

The do not disturb, afaik you still have the simple no disturb. In control center you just need to get through the tutorial popup and then you have the simple one

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Oh i hear you.....too much for too little!

My extra step complaint every hour with 2024  today (7AM) is.....
taking a photo on iPad, converting that to "Jpg" from "H¢$" format so i can post that online.

2 minutes....that took 2 minutes!

Reactions: tomtattoo

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I understand your point that as new features are added, it can become more complicated to accomplish a task. You characterized new features as “junk” but I don’t agree. There are features I don’t use for sure. I don’t have kids so I don’t use Parental Controls. You can’t expect a device with a billion users to be perfectly tailored just to you.

I don’t know that you’ve ever been able to transfer a file to a PC via USB. I use iCloud or OneDrive for that and I’ve never considered that “jumping through hoops”.

Focus offers various options so people can customize it for their needs. I don’t see customization options adding to complexity. I see it the opposite. I can configure Do Not Disturb once to work exactly as I want it. I can enable it with the push of a button or have it enabled at a certain time of day. That doesn’t sound complex to me.

You can do a Force Quit if the app isn’t responding:

The Photos app coming in ios 18 this fall is full of new customization options. I can’t wait! 🥳

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
There was never a 1st party [easy] way to transfer files from iPhone to Windows unless you use apps like Send Anywhere on both devices that allows AirDrop-like functionality or uploading to cloud services like OneDrive then download from OneDrive to Windows PC...

For photos and videos transfer, there is iTunes [classic] and the Microsoft Store version but most only use it for upgrading/downgrading through IPSW files... You can also upload using iCloud from iPhone then download through iCloud.com or using the iCloud executable that you need to install on Windows...

I don't know if iOS ever had the android way of resetting an app by clearing data while keeping the app installed... The way that I have known ever since was to delete the app then re-download from the App Store...

Apple is slowly moving away from it just works to you need to get to know how to accomplish things...

macOS and iOS were once the choice for the non-tech users but little by little no longer the case...

Reactions: dk001

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
Simply use Documents for all transfers of data to/from Windows/Linux/etc.
They even don't rip you off, cause the transfer-functionality is $free!
This is basic OS-101 and should be included in iOS, but is missing on purpose.

Reactions: platinumaqua

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
The current DOJ lawsuit might get you some movement on the interoperability with Windows request, but it's going to be a few years. I think if Apple wants to be the #1 Smartphone then they need to support the #1 OS much better.

Of course, more interoperability means more complexity. Do you want a slimmer, streamlined OS, or one that can do everything? Your argument goes both ways, doesn't it? I think Apple could revisit some organization/layout things to make the OS a little more intuitive, but don't expect anything like an OS X throw-everything-out-and-start-over approach.

Reactions: Tagbert

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Sadly true. The “it just works” and ”it is user simple” have gone. Mostly.

Couple of things from the Window side: I own an S24 Ultra and Samsung Galaxy Book. I installed iMazing (great software). The Samsung system works as well as the Apple system. Add to this I am using the Proton stuff. Between my Apple items, Android items, and Windows items, they all interact pretty much seamlessly.

Nice.

Update: Spell Check sabotaged my post. Fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: HouseLannister
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.