Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Annoying little problem I am having with the new release of iTunes. I'm running El Capital 10.11.6.

This has happened twice while syncing music to my iPhone 8+ and an old 4th Gen iPod I just got working again yesterday. While syncing the music, iTunes freezes up - along with the spinning "rainbow icon". A Force Quit will APPEAR that iTunes has closed, but it still runs in the background. I noticed this while trying to shut down or restart my iMac getting a prompt that is cannot shut down since iTunes is still running - "Retry?"

When I hit "Force Quit" keyboard shortcut again, it still shows iTunes as open and it simply will not shut down. My only solution the past 2 times was to hold the iMac power button to shut the computer off. Then reboot.

Anyone else? Ugh...I've NEVER been a fan of this program

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
On a machine running an earlier OS I simply re-named the latest iTunes: iTunes v__, then installed an oder version that I had known to be trouble free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.