Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Took some shots while i was at work the other day just wondering how other people feel about them.

All shot with the D70 with the kit lens.

Farm_Tractor_1sm.jpg
Farm_Tractor_2sm.jpg

Farm_Tractor_3sm.jpg

Farm_Tractor_5sm.jpg

Farm_Tractor_6sm.jpg
Farm_Tractor_7sm.jpg

Old_Millsm.jpg

Hope you like them. Any questions let me know.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Some are good, but some don't seem very interesting to me, like #5 and #6. I think you needed to get closer like you did in #3, which is my favourite. Actually, I do love that photo. :)

I think that the 50 mm f/1.8 lense, which is very cheap, would have worked well here --- something that could get you a smaller depth of field. Well, a smaller depth of field and a bit closer to things.

I also wonder what the last photo would have looked like if you zoomed out a bit more, or even used your legs and stood further away. :confused:

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Abstract said:
I think that the 50 mm f/1.8 lense, which is very cheap, would have worked well here --- something that could get you a smaller depth of field. Well, a smaller depth of field and a bit closer to things.

I also wonder what the last photo would have looked like if you zoomed out a bit more, or even used your legs and stood further away. :confused:

That is one thing I am working on now, getting a 50 1.8. Its tough with me going to be paying my school loans pretty soon. Also on the last photo it really wasn't as intersting if I had zoomed back or moved away from the building. I belive I have a few shots, I will post them when I find them.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
The machine parts look like... well machine parts, not much there for me.. but the last pic is interesting, maybe try a few other anges on the machine parts or zoom in a little more.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
djbahdow01 said:
Also on the last photo it really wasn't as intersting if I had zoomed back or moved away from the building. I belive I have a few shots, I will post them when I find them.

Yeah, please. I can almost imagine the ground and think it would have been better to include it.

hikingnclimbing

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Gorham, ME
I like #3 and #5 the best because they are more simplistic than the others that look at the entire machine. Seeing single parts lets the viewer use a bit of imagination. The complexity of the part is interesting enough to have it's own photograph. I also like the rust on all of the parts that you photographed. I think they look more realistic than if they were nice and shiny.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
iGary said:
I like the last one with the brick and striped poll...the tractor ones are kind of underwhelming - just my opinion.

Thats totally understandable, each has their own opinion. I was just happy to be able to shoot while at work. And worked with what I had in front of me.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Abstract said:
Yeah, please. I can almost imagine the ground and think it would have been better to include it.

Here is another shot of the mill/ loading area, didn'thave any closer images, but you'll get an idea of what was around there.

DSC_0083.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.