Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sananda

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 24, 2007
I want to work on an old print and do so in layers.

First, of all I have scanned in the photo and applied a levels adjustment layer. Then I made a new layer from the background and take out some spots from the wall in the photo. Next. I made a new layer from the background and try to work on the figures in the photo. But I'm not seeing the edits I'm making on the screen.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Perhaps you're editing a layer that is hidden under another one. Turn on and off the visibility of your various layers to see if your edits are in one of them.

sananda

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 24, 2007
But it seems to me that I can only see the effects of one layer at a time. Is that right? Or is there a way to see the cumulative effect of all the layers?

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
You can view all the layers, assuming they're transparent, at once by selecting the visibility icon to the left of the layer.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
But it seems to me that I can only see the effects of one layer at a time. Is that right? Or is there a way to see the cumulative effect of all the layers?

Think of layers like a stack of transparencies (like sheets of acetate). Wherever there is "paint" on the transparency, you cannot see that area of any layers beneath it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.