Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k3lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
District of Columbia
Know that slo-mo moment when you wish you could take back whatever you've just done? After turning on FileVault (which kicks off a restart) I belatedly realized a restart from a Safari update was also pending. BIG mistake.

What I learned: never leave a restart pending, or if you DO, don't forget about it. Now, I HOPE my little old (2012) Mini has recovered. I thought I'd have to reinstall OS X.

Recovery Mode DID have some sort of image ready for me (I think). But I didn't know what to do with it and nothing was happening automatically. I think (I hope, I pray) Disk Utility Repair may have done the trick.

k3lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
District of Columbia
Know that slo-mo moment when you wish you could take back whatever you've just done? After turning on FileVault (which kicks off a restart) I belatedly realized a restart from a Safari update was also pending. BIG mistake.

What I learned: never leave a restart pending, or if you DO, don't forget about it. Now, I HOPE my little old (2012) Mini has recovered. I thought I'd have to reinstall OS X.

Recovery Mode DID have some sort of image ready for me (I think). But I didn't know what to do with it and nothing was happening automatically. I think (I hope, I pray) Disk Utility Repair may have done the trick.
[doublepost=1480166654][/doublepost]I am stuck in the dreaded (I NOW know) FileVault "encryption paused" thing. I cannot turn FileVault off because it hasn't finished encryption. I can work, but everything is really, really slow and some things are acting flaky.

The attached file shows the encryption progress. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• FIleVault stuck.pdf
    24.6 KB · Views: 669

k3lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
District of Columbia
[doublepost=1480166654][/doublepost]I am stuck in the dreaded (I NOW know) FileVault "encryption paused" thing. I cannot turn FileVault off because it hasn't finished encryption. I can work, but everything is really, really slow and some things are acting flaky.

The attached file shows the encryption progress. Can anyone help?

Things are now looking more promising. Though my Mini was balky, I was able to open Disk Utility and run Repair on my internal hard drive (even though I'd done this previously in Recovery Mode). I then attempted to boot into Recovery Mode, but I did it using Restart instead of cold (from power up).

The machine took a loooong time to come up, maybe five minutes, and when it did, it wasn't in Recovery Mode. It showed the normal login screen with the same message I've been getting since The Event (a message telling me to power off and boot into Recovery Mode). Egads, not again, I thought.

Well, instead of going for Recovery (again), I logged in and looked at Security & Privacy (under System Preferences). Lo and behold, instead of saying "encryption paused", it now says "encrypting". And it tells me it will need TWO DAYS to finish. This was an unwelcome surprise, but I'm totally down with it.

If I ever get the disk encrypted, and everything seems copacetic, I STILL plan to turn off File Vault. This whole thing was really frustrating.

PS I'm running OS X 10.11.6 on a late 2012 Mini (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3) with Time Machine backing up to a 2TB external Mini-Stack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.