Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Does anyone have a suggestion on where to download a tutorial or watch several video tutorials (even better) one how to use Aperture? I am looking for something that will offer me the basics, but allow me to progress to more involved uses. I am sure there is something out there and likely Aperture even comes with some guide, but I (hopefully like you, unless you already own it) am taking advantage of the free 30-day trial Apple is offering on their website and wanted a quick way to get going. I am aware of the tutorials Apple offers on the Aperture page, but really don't cover much of the graphical editing features. Thanks

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Not trying to be unhelpful, but have you thought about just taking a RAW image, playing with the settings, and watching what happens to the image, histogram, and tone curve?

I didn't know lick about editing and that's all I did. Now I don't feel like a complete amateur.

There are videos on how the editing features of Adobe Lightroom Beta work. I know it's not the same app, but it's photo editing after all. The settings will be similar. Plus if you want to test out the features and follow along with the Tutorials, you can because LR Beta doesn't expire for much longer than 30 days. ;)

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
i use aperture as an organizer of my image archives.

for editing, photoshop will be my app for now (has been for last 10 years) not switching now.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
No worries, I don't think you were being unhelpful at all. In fact, I tend to do the exact same thing, but the reason I posted was I am trying to essentially crop the head of one of my friends and place another person's head on the body as a joke. It is his birthday tomorrow and I needed to get this done ASAP. Any suggestions on that perhaps?

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
No worries, I don't think you were being unhelpful at all. In fact, I tend to do the exact same thing, but the reason I posted was I am trying to essentially crop the head of one of my friends and place another person's head on the body as a joke. It is his birthday tomorrow and I needed to get this done ASAP. Any suggestions on that perhaps?

For that task, you need to edit in Photoshop (head swaping).
For learning Aperture try these books...http://www.photoshopsupport.com/aperture/books.html
most can be found at your local bookstores, many with training Dvd's.

Also put the photo up in MR for us to take a whack at it. If that might help.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Once you purchase Aperture, it comes with a fairly good video training DVD. I found it helpful, even after the normal "play with it" learning style.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Nice Yakamoto good suggestion I will check them out. OK so don't laugh, but is "head swapping" an actual feature I can select on photoshop or is there a way to make it occur and you were just referring to it under that name to make it easy for someone like me to understand?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA

If you need this done, you can PM me. I use Photoshop a lot and can help you.

If you want me to, try to PM me within 15min. or so because I will be getting off.

Kevin

Edit: Btw, Head swapping is not a feature.;) That was just how he said it.

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Nice Yakamoto good suggestion I will check them out. OK so don't laugh, but is "head swapping" an actual feature I can select on photoshop or is there a way to make it occur and you were just referring to it under that name to make it easy for someone like me to understand?

Not a real term sorry. There are a couple of ways of doing what you want.
The easiest being to open the normal photo and a secondary (other head shot) in photoshop. Having both heads the same size will make it easier.
make a selection using extract (filters menu) or the magnetic lasso of the head you want to use. And simply move it in to place (move tool).
Again tthis is a crude way of doing it, I'd strongly recomend Pm'ing
schaef2493 as he'd most likely use a more professional approach.
ie. make it look natural. I would also be happy to work on it.

rahpublican

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010
Does anyone have a suggestion on where to download a tutorial or watch several video tutorials (even better) one how to use Aperture? I am looking for something that will offer me the basics, but allow me to progress to more involved uses. I am sure there is something out there and likely Aperture even comes with some guide, but I (hopefully like you, unless you already own it) am taking advantage of the free 30-day trial Apple is offering on their website and wanted a quick way to get going. I am aware of the tutorials Apple offers on the Aperture page, but really don't cover much of the graphical editing features. Thanks

In response to your "Tutorial" question, you can go to http://www.lynda.com for some pretty awesome and in depth tutorials in just about any program for a PC or a MAC. I've used it several times trying to learn Final Cut Express as well as Aperture. All the tutorials that are underlined are free. However, the good ones are not. I paid $24 for just a one month subscription and quickly got access to all the tutorials. Well worth the money for me because I'm an idiot. Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.