Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I think it's too expensive for a piece of (bad quality) leather so I'm still unsure whether I should get it or not. The main purpose is to to protect the iPad's back and avoid any scratching on the Apple logo. Currently I have a silicone Smart Cover and the :apple:Pencil Case. Is it worth it or does it scratch anyway?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think it's too expensive for a piece of (bad quality) leather so I'm still unsure whether I should get it or not. The main purpose is to to protect the iPad's back and avoid any scratching on the Apple logo. Currently I have a silicone Smart Cover and the :apple:Pencil Case. Is it worth it or does it scratch anyway?
I got a copy from amazon for £10

Does the job. I would go on there.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
It just makes no sense that Apple discontinued the silicone back covers. The best alternative I have found is the OtterBox Symmetry Hybrid case, which works with the Apple Smart Keyboard.

EDIT: While I have never seen the leather sleeve in person, the idea that the back is not protected when it is taken out of the pocket, bothers me. It is not a suitable replacement for the silicone back cover, IMO.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
The leather sleeve is for those who like to carry their gadgets that way. Me personally I rather put my iPad in a padded sleeve like the Timbuk2 Plush sleeve. There are several other options you can chose. I was actually looking at the Incase sleeve or the newer Timbuk2 sleeves which are more padded than the Apple leather case.

If you want leather and don't mind that they aren't padded check out Galen Leather or Dodocase.

Reactions: OldEditor

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
If you want a nice high quality leather sleeve, there are tons of handmade ones for sale on Etsy that use much higher quality leather and are much less expensive than the Apple sleeve.

Reactions: OldEditor

Mobileadam

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
If you want a nice high quality leather sleeve, there are tons of handmade ones for sale on Etsy that use much higher quality leather and are much less expensive than the Apple sleeve.

I loved the original silicone back on my ipp 9.7 and was disappointed that I couldn't something for my 10.5. I purchased the £10 on Amazon and it was okay, colour looked a bit cheap. So I decided on a whim to buy the blue leather sleeve from Apple (rubbish buying experience in the shop - again!) and it gets shoved in a bag, put a desk, moved about etc. and has held up really well and still looks super fresh. It doesn't looked aged, leather is still supple and the pen holder is great.

I did buy a very nice zipped padded case for travelling which cost around £15 on Amazon and is perfect, but doesn't hold the pencil. I was worried about lack of back protection (I teach in secondary school) but no issues with marks or anything and the kids have been gentle if they need to use it. I wouldn't want to put a case on it now!

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Bought a cheap ($30) version on amazon that is an exact replica of the apple one. I imagine it’s not as good but I love it and it has held up very well for the past 4 months of constant use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.