Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hey i'm a 5d-mii owner and i was curious if you recommend to leave the lens mounted on the camera when not using it for a week or two or keep it off?

I'm a little concerned that whenever i take it off there's a possibility for dust to enter.

What's your take?

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I always leave a lens on my 1000D. If for nothing else then it's always ready if there's a shot I want. I wouldn't worry too much about dust entering on lens changes; of course there will be some, so just keep it swift (but careful) and let the sensor cleaning do its job. If you notice blobs appearing that don't get removed in the cleaning then bring it in to get it cleaned.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If you store the camera on its back or in a bag that supports the lens, then leaving it on is fine. If you put it down on a table for a few weeks, then you could stress the mount over time so if you're going to store it with a lens on it, just make sure the lens isn't stressing the mount. Other than that, there's no reason not to, though you really shouldn't be getting huge amounts of dust in the body if you take the lens off with the element pointing down and put a cleaned body cap right on the camera in the same position.

Paul

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey i'm a 5d-mii owner and i was curious if you recommend to leave the lens mounted on the camera when not using it

Only take the lens off the body when you changes lenses. Otherwise there is no reason to remove it. You are right about dust. Why remove a lens unless you have a good reason to.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Hey i'm a 5d-mii owner and i was curious if you recommend to leave the lens mounted on the camera when not using it for a week or two or keep it off?

I'm a little concerned that whenever i take it off there's a possibility for dust to enter.

What's your take?

Personal preference. My camera bodies wont fit in my Domke F2 with lenses mounted and with the bag loaded with other glass/flashes/batteries/etc, so I usually take them off.

But I there's no reason not to take them off.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
I see absolutely no reason for taking the lens off the body. If it doesn't fit in your bag, get a bigger bag. You are just inviting dust into the body.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.