Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br.avery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
i just opened my glove compartment today and found my xsi kit lens! i realized i forgot it in there after having a photoshoot 3 weeks ago. the weather has been crazy and the lenses have been in the car through crazy cold weather.. do you think the lenses are okay or not? i haven't taken any pictures with them since that though, i just keep my 50mm primes on my camera.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
well just for safety, bring it in your house and keep it dry and warm for a day, then the following day try snapping a few pics out of it, if it works then great if it doesn't then I guess its time to get a replacement for the kit lens, I heard the Sigma 17-70 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is good :D

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Take a new ZipLock bag to the car, place the lenses in it, squeeze the bag to get as much air out of it as you can, and then zip it close. Take the bag with the lenses inside, and let them warm to room temperature inside the bag.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Take a new ZipLock bag to the car, place the lenses in it, squeeze the bag to get as much air out of it as you can, and then zip it close. Take the bag with the lenses inside, and let them warm to room temperature inside the bag.

Excellent way to handle condensation..... this is something you should follow every time you have your camera and lens in a foggy cold weather!
And understandably it was too cold for any fungal activity... consider silica gel or other anhydrous substances for lengthy storage durations. Also remember to use your lenses at least once every two weeks or so, main fundamental being exposure to sunlight and atmosphere!

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
The zip lock bag is also good for any time you go from cold to hot. I was in Dubai and after leaving the air conditioned hotel to go and take pictures outside the camera fogged up with condensation. Once it had aclimatised all was fine but I got a shock when I realised what had happened!

Andrew W.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.