Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prwnr

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
I'm left handed and I'm used to wear my watch on the right wrist, but with Apple Watch I'm having a hard time to decide how to wear it thanks to the orientation option which I never had with other watches.

IMO it looks better with crown on the right side, but using it there feels a bit uncomfortable however with orientation swapped and the crown on the left it looks a bit odd but using it feels much better.

I would like to hear opinion of other lefties, how you wear your watch and why?

dbirnbaum7

macrumors member
May 6, 2019
For some reason, I’ve been wearing watches on my left wrist since I started wearing watches probably 40 years ago.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
I don't have an Apple Watch but I can say that as a leftie I would continue to wear it on my left wrist like I do all of my other watches. For some reason a watch just feels unnatural on my right wrist. FWIW I can't use scissors in my left hand (left handed scissors or otherwise) either as this feels totally wrong as well.

prwnr

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
For some reason, I’ve been wearing watches on my left wrist since I started wearing watches probably 40 years ago.
I don't have an Apple Watch but I can say that as a leftie I would continue to wear it on my left wrist like I do all of my other watches. For some reason a watch just feels unnatural on my right wrist. FWIW I can't use scissors in my left hand (left handed scissors or otherwise) either as this feels totally wrong as well.
maybe I should give it a try on my left. I got used to the right wrist during school, cause wearing a watch on the left while using a pencil was kinda annoying. but now i'm rarely using a pencil so maybe after a month or two I could get re-used ?

Reactions: RedTomato

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Speaking as a righty... I only briefly considered using that feature to wear my Watch on my right wrist.

For the most part, I think the convention of wearing wristwatches on the non-dominant wrist evolved out of practicality - the watch may be more prone to damage or cause more physical interference when worn on the dominant wrist - you use your dominant hand more frequently than the non-dominant.

In the end, the most practical choice for me was to go with well-established habit - I've always worn my watches on my left wrist, so why bother to retrain?

The real benefit of the orientation feature is purely practical - it's beneficial to have the digital crown and side button positioned so your hand doesn't cover the display while manipulating those controls.

Reactions: RedTomato and prwnr

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I am right handed but wear a watch on my right hand. I have the crown top right and access it with my left hand thumb.

My left hand doesn't cover the display because it cups under the watch.

It's trivial to switch to best thing is to simply try and see what you like.

prwnr

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
I am right handed but wear a watch on my right hand. I have the crown top right and access it with my left hand thumb.

it is for sure and I love that option and i'm switching it each day since I got it to see with what I feel more comfortable with, but still hard to take the shot ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Left-handed user with watch on my left wrist.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: prwnr

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I put it on my left wrist when I got it and just had myself get used to it like that. I feel like the location of the crown makes the most sense when the watch is on the left hand.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

Yeah, manipulating with thumb would work, although index finger tends to be the "dominant" finger for fine manipulation. In the end, whatever works for you.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I'm left handed and I've always worn a wrist watch on my left hand. With the exception the year my wrist got broken in a motorcycle accident. Hard to wear with a cast ?

mtcislak

macrumors regular
May 30, 2019
Left handed. Wear my watch on right wrist with crown facing up toward elbow. With crown down I bumped it too many times. Wear it on my right wrist so I can check what time I’m administering a Med or something and still write with my left hand.

Reactions: z20 and prwnr

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
I’m a lefty and wear it in my left wrist due to that’s how I’ve always worn a watch. I’ve tried to switch to my right wrist several times since I got my first Apple Watch but I just can’t get used to it. I’d rather have it in my right wrist so that I can use the scribble feature more effectively.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Okay, you guys have got me thinking. I'm a lefty and have always worn a watch on my left wrist. But since the AW frequently requires the use of a finger, I have been uncomfortable using my right index finger.

So, I just moved my watch to my right wrist, with the crown facing left. We'll see how it goes.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I'm right handed and have always worn watches on my right wrist, even prior to smart watches. My left hand naturally arches around the top of the watch to reach the crown and button.

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
In the summer I rotate between left wrist and right wrist to minimize the watch tan line, and I leave the orientation as is. It’s a little awkward using the crown when the watch is on the right wrist, but not enough to really bother me.

bunnyechoes

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2017
Slovenia
Left handed. Wear my watch on right wrist with crown facing up toward elbow. With crown down I bumped it too many times. Wear it on my right wrist so I can check what time I’m administering a Med or something and still write with my left hand.
I wear it like this, too, despite being used to wearing a normal watch and Fitbit on my left hand.

script

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2015
Right wrist with the crown on bottom left.
I do hit the crown sometimes when bending my wrist though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.