Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaliemon

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
Just ordered a Leica D-Lux 4 and was wondering if anyone knows if iPhoto 09 can read its RAW files? Also will there be noticeable quality difference between iPhoto and Capture One for processing RAWs ?

I mainly just want a simple way to store my photos, I edit in Photoshop so I don't really care about the editing ability in Capture One or iPhoto.

Thanks for any advice.

(My first Leica, and I don't want to sacrifice any of that legendary quality)

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
It isn't listed on Apple's knowledge base:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1475

So likely is not supported unless the raw format is the same as the D-Lux 3.

I've never dealt with RAW's in iPhoto before so can't comment on that, I use Lightroom for that purpose, I know some people prefer the RAW processing from Nikon's CaptureNX for Nikon cameras above Lightroom's though so iPhoto may not be your best bet.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
The in-camera JPG processing is honestly the only reason to buy a Leica PnS instead of a Panasonic. If you wanted to shoot RAW, you'd probably have been better off getting the equivilant Lumix camera and saving $300 (or more).

Odds are you'll be more than satisified with the JPGs that your camera will produce.

Kaliemon

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
I thought of using the RAW + JPG mode. I want to use raw files for HDR and also for times when I need more post processing control.

The reason I chose the Leica was it felt better built and the jpgs are far better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.