Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
What are your thoughts on this camera ?

Thanks,
Mike

It sure looks nice, and I like small unobtrusive cameras. The great unplanned photo you take will be done with the camera you have with you, which is not likely a giant DSLR (the one in the closet).

But, I read the Amazon reviews and also the Ken Rockwell site, among others. Summed up, it is a rebranded Japanese camera with the price boosted considerably by that Leica sticker.

Other, considerably cheaper models are just as good, but Rockewell makes the point that if it makes you happy then go for it and that you are supporting Leica, a small but important company that makes interesting stuff and should survive.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Unless you are a mega die hard super Leica fanboy, get the Panasonic LX3K, exact same camera, I like the Panasonic one looks prettier, and a lot cheaper.

I have the Panasonic LX2 a couple of years ago before I went dslr, I loved that camera. I'm sure you will love the dlux 4 or LX3K, just remember, they are the same camera, and with the Leica you are only paying for the name.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
It should be pointed out that while the hardware between the two cameras are the same, there are some small differences.

The JPEG processing in the Leica camera is different. Whether or not it is better is up to the user, but it is different. I think it tries to recreate the "Leica" look of their other cameras like the M8.

The Leica version comes with RAW processing software which the Panasonic one lacks. If you intend to shoot RAW this will be an extra cost with the Panasonic whereas a package is included with the Leica.

The warranty of the Leica camera is longer than the Panasonic. (3 years vs. 1 I think but not 100% sure)

Does this mean it makes the Leica a better buy? Not necessarily, and there is definitely a premium to be paid for the red dot on the camera, but at the same time there are other aspects about buying the Leica version beyond the hardware that might make it a more attractive value to some.

Generally speaking, I have heard it is one of the better P&S cameras for low light or indoor photogrpahy. It has a pretty good sensor in terms of ISO performance (at least as far as a compact digital goes), and a built in lens that is a stop faster than most other P&S (f/2 vs. f/2.8), allowing for faster shutter speeds in low light. The biggest drawback is that the zoom range is not as extensive as other P&S, and the zoom range available is focused on the wide end- something which people can find limiting.

Ruahrc

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
It should be pointed out that while the hardware between the two cameras are the same, there are some small differences.

The JPEG processing in the Leica camera is different. Whether or not it is better is up to the user, but it is different. I think it tries to recreate the "Leica" look of their other cameras like the M8.

The Leica version comes with RAW processing software which the Panasonic one lacks. If you intend to shoot RAW this will be an extra cost with the Panasonic whereas a package is included with the Leica.

The warranty of the Leica camera is longer than the Panasonic. (3 years vs. 1 I think but not 100% sure)

Does this mean it makes the Leica a better buy? Not necessarily, and there is definitely a premium to be paid for the red dot on the camera, but at the same time there are other aspects about buying the Leica version beyond the hardware that might make it a more attractive value to some.

Generally speaking, I have heard it is one of the better P&S cameras for low light or indoor photogrpahy. It has a pretty good sensor in terms of ISO performance (at least as far as a compact digital goes), and a built in lens that is a stop faster than most other P&S (f/2 vs. f/2.8), allowing for faster shutter speeds in low light. The biggest drawback is that the zoom range is not as extensive as other P&S, and the zoom range available is focused on the wide end- something which people can find limiting.

Ruahrc

Just to clarify, the LX3K has raw capabilities, even raw+jpeg, it has a 3 image buffer which isn't bad for a compact.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

some minor details:
- I think Jpeg processing in the Leica is better overall, extracting more detail and not oversaturating and such by default.
- the Panasonic comes with a RAW converter (SilkyPix), the Leica just comes with a better one (Capture One)
- the Leica has a two-year warranty. and a wrist strap.

anyways, the LX3 is probably the best P&S available short of the micro 4/3s cameras, provided you're ok with the relatively short zoom range.

cash4chaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
campbell ca
Thanks !!

Thanks everyone !! I will look at the Canon and the Panasonic in the end, I guess it's like buying a watch you buy the one that you like . I have seen some macro pics from the Leica which were amazing !! I will start to photograph Vintage watches Rolex Omega Breitling etc, for a Watch forum site I am building with some friends anyone else collect watches here ?:D

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
It's probably noteworthy that lx3s are backordered everywhere, and have been for some time (Panasonic themselves list all the accessories as "discontinued"). The only places that actually have them in stock are bumping the MSRP $100+, which puts them roughly in line with the DL4 once you factor in CaptureOne and the extra 2 years warranty.

At least, that's what I told my wife. :)
It's a great little camera. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
I have the LX3 version of this camera and it's a really quite spectacular for a point and shoot camera. I wish it could go slightly more telephoto but it's not a deal breaker. If you shoot RAW with it, Lightroom and Adobe ACR will process the RAW files, iPhoto and Aperture will NOT. Just in case you were counting on that.

**EDIT** The Silky Pix software that comes with the Panasonic version will obviously process the RAW files as well, however, the software is garbage.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Panasonic makes the same camera. The camera was developed jointly and then each company sell their own version of the camera. The Lieca version default color settings are different but you can change the setting away from the default.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Great little camera, especially with the external viewfinder.

However, if you're contemplating buying one, I'd wait until after the 09/09/09:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBcZ1jaWXRw

(it's gonna be big - not only because of the almost proverbial "M9")

Thanks for that; I'm already salivating - I love Leicas, they are exquisitely designed and amazing ergonomically; and, as for the photos.....

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
I'm very happy with the D Lux 4 I purchased earlier this summer. The price difference between it and the Panasonic wasn't huge if purchased at B & H. I do find the Leica far more attractive than the clunkier Panasonic. The picture quality is excellent and the 2 - 2.8 lens is far superior than other PS cameras. I also bought a little piece of plastic to fill in the hot shoe for 10 bucks at some website and that makes the camera look better. The big negative for me is the lack of a built in lens cap, as I don't know what they were thinking. It is also difficult to put a protective clear filter on the camera - something that one would want to do given it's cost. However, all the grumpy little negatives aside, the camera takes excellent photos, superior to other others you may look at.

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
it is by far the best P&S camera i've ever used. period
but if money is a concern then see if u can find the panasonic LX3 - those little buggers are hard to find though!
no other point and shoot comes close. ok i lie, canon g10 is pretty good too for around the same money but much bigger than d-lux4/lx3 - however i think they just came out with a g11 and other new cameras.

cash4chaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
campbell ca
Thanks Everyone for your input !!

I was lucky enough to order the Leica on Sunday night from B&H photo they had 1 left in stock !! all other retailers around me and online were sold out.
UPS delivers it tomorrow :D I am leaving for a trip Friday morning to LA, I will be driving down PCH Highway 1 some great photo spots !!! I will post soon.
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.