Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I normally use a Canon 10D or a 4MP IXUSi. While both are great at what they do, I really need something in between, something that is highly portable yet has really outstanding glass.

I used to use a Leica M4 in the days of film, and absolutely loved the way one would capture pictures with it rather than composing through a viewfinder. I usually didn't even hold the rangefinder window up to my eye when using it but instead held it a little in front of my chest. I generally used a fairly wide lens that gave a nice gentle distortion make for excellent portraits and landscapes that had a really nice quality about them.

Anyway, I would love to find something in the digital realm that would approximate what that camera did. Any thoughts about the Leica D-Lux2 / Lumix in that regard. Other ideas? Very few small digitals seem to offer that wide perspective.

billy_d_goat

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
Hey netdog. I normally shoot with a d70. However, when I needed something wide and small, I went with a Lumix DCM-FX01...in black of course! Its lense is about 28mm in the 35mm system. I've been quite happy with it, and I believe it does have a Leica lense on it.

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
take a look at the new DMC-LX2. if it lives up to pani's hype, it should be a sweet camera.

Serpent

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
serpent said:
take a look at the new DMC-LX2. if it lives up to pani's hype, it should be a sweet camera.

Serpent

Indeed, this is coming to the UK this month. I have no doubt that it will indeed live up to the hype. The LX1/D-LUX2 were great cameras, and this will only improve on that lineup. I will just have to wait. Thank you.

billy_d_goat

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
How wide of a lens is the new LX camera supposed to have? I tend to shoot in small spaces, and it is big deal for me.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
billy_d_goat said:
How wide of a lens is the new LX camera supposed to have? I tend to shoot in small spaces, and it is big deal for me.

28mm, the same as the LX1. I turned an LX1 on in a shop the otherday and was really impressed by the wide angle. It reminded me of my old M4. I am getting an LX2 for sure.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
billy_d_goat said:

It starts at 28mm.

I've been looking at the LX2 and really like everything about it - except the images look pretty noisy (along with some messy noise reduction artifacts), even at ISO 100... here are a few sample images:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/gallery/models/lx2.html

I'm sure it will be a fine camera for many people - but the noise would bother me too much. I wish Canon would come out with an upgraded G6 - but I doubt they will.

EDIT: then again, the noise disappears when shrinking down the images to display online - and I bet it's not that noticeable in small-medium sized prints... I really want to like this camera, heh ;)

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
What I think really sets this camera apart from all other compacts is the quality and size of the glass. Smaller and inferior lenses just can't capture the same results.

Yes, Panasonic's panel is a bit noisy. A shame.

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
I got my LX2 today!! It's a sweet pas. only thing is no manual, so I'm searching thru menus and learning by doing. I will post some pics once I know what I'm doing.

Serpent

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
serpent said:
I got my LX2 today!! It's a sweet pas. only thing is no manual, so I'm searching thru menus and learning by doing. I will post some pics once I know what I'm doing.

Serpent

Congrats on the new camera... the more I read about it/look at sample pictures, the more I like it. :)

Here are a couple of nice galleries of pictures done with the LX1 - some great stuff in the 16:9 format:

http://www.pbase.com/viztyger

http://www.lens-scape.com/article/lx1-gallery.htm

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Where did you get it? I can't find one in London, and am wary of ordering at eBay from Hong Kong. If there is a problem in shipping, it could really be a disaster. I'd far prefer to get one in a shop.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Hold out for the leica digital m or get the epson rd1 - it uses the leica lenses and i hear some good image quality as well

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
well a buddy of mine's bro-in-law works for one of those shady Brooklyn camera dealers whose motto is sell camera cheap and gorge you for accessories. His company got a bunch in last friday and luckily I got mine before they were all sold out a day later.
I did a google search and was able to find a rapidshare link of the operating instructions, which are probably the same as posted on the AU site.
My impressions so far:
camera is much smaller than i imagined it would be
eventho the LCD display is quite bright, in strong sunlight it's almost impossible to see.
with std. SD card file writing times 3-4 sec in raw mode.
in raw mode image is saved as raw & jpeg.
@10mp file size is approx 19-20mb.
Raw format is not recognized by Aperture or PS CS2, or by any software on disc provided by Panasonic in XP or OS X.
widescreen format is awesome
I called panasonic in regards to the problem of nothing opening up the .raw files....they had no clue and will research and getback to me. Since then I d/l'd graphiconverter 5.9.1 which will open the files but all colors are off with a purple tinge and are un correctable.
Sample of 16:9 jpg:
237883287_d2051b00bd_b_d.jpg

Serpent

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
serpent said:
Raw format is not recognized by Aperture or PS CS2, or by any software on disc provided by Panasonic in XP or OS X.

There should have been a version of Silkypix included with the camera that converts the RAW format of the LX2 (and the new FX50 and one other new Panasonic camera that I can't remember).

Updates will come to Aperture and CS2 eventually to support the LX2 RAW format (hopefully soon).

I'm also surprised you didn't get a printed manual... ?

billy_d_goat

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
Sorry about the long delay, but thanks for the info about the LX2, atari1356. I'm gonna have to sit down and play with one.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
I have a Leica D-Lux 2. I can recommend it warmly.
There is a huge difference in pic quality compared with my old Nikon Coolpix. If you have too much money for your own good, you could also consider the new Leica M8 that is beeing released September 15th.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Hi all! It has been a while since posting last.

As Dr.Gargoyle mentioned, the LX1 and the D-Lux 2 are great cameras. Just do a search for some of the posts we made with sample images. Also head over to photosig.com and do a search by camera type to see what others have been able to do.

The new LX2 and D-Lux 3 are the new kids on the block, and looks to be even better.

satty

macrumors 6502
igmolinav said:
....and if you are in the UK, a good dealer is Robert White. I think it is

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk

Thanks for the link.

I bought recently a Leica C-Lux 1* from R.G. Lewis. It looks like Robert White is cheaper, but the prices there exclude VAT.

* It's actually a very nice, small camera that makes really good pictures (as long as it's not too dark). So I consider to replace my Nikon D100 with the Leica Digilux 3 in the near future.

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
another shot from my LX2 taken at nite Jones Beach from about 300'

Attachments

• TheWho.jpg
    TheWho.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 115

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
just stumbled on this thread... I have an LX1, love it. I might get a more professional camera sometime, but for now this one serves me well.

The noise level is a bit high, but usually the high resolution makes up for it (I don't go poster-size).

Here are some two examples to illustrate the noise thing:

Attachments

• cervin.jpg
    cervin.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 81
  • cervin_detail.jpg
    cervin_detail.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 64
  • pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 75
  • pool_detail.jpg
    pool_detail.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.