Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
This is Leica's latest addition to their range that was supposed to be announced on 9th September but has been leaked early.

9-02-09leicax1.jpg

I absolutely love the look of it including the quirky features like the circular pop up flash. The specs look pretty impressive too with a 12MP APS-C sensor and 24mm f2.8 fixed lens. The only downside I can think of is that I'm sure the price is suitable Leica-esque...

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
if it's truly APS-C, rather than -H like on the M8, it could actually be somewhat affordable...but I'd want something faster than f/2.8. oh well, can't get everything.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
But for a fixed lens solution, one could expect an optical viewfinder, even for an AF camera.

I wouldn't have thought an optical viewfinder was expected as none of its closest rivals (Sigma DP1 and DP2, Panasonic GF-1 and Olympus E-P1) have one either. As far as I can see it is impossible to fit an optical viewfinder in a camera that small without making too big to be a compact camera or hideously ugly (*cough* G10). As long as it has a good 460k or 920k res screen it will be fine for the market its aimed at, mainly being someone's 2nd/3rd or maybe even 4th camera or just as an expensive toy.

That said, I still would'nt say no to one...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
if it's truly APS-C, rather than -H like on the M8, it could actually be somewhat affordable...but I'd want something faster than f/2.8. oh well, can't get everything.

I too would have thought a 1.8 would have been on there not a 2.8. Considering it's a fixed lens and a Leica ... well anyway.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wouldn't have thought an optical viewfinder was expected as none of its closest rivals (Sigma DP1 and DP2, Panasonic GF-1 and Olympus E-P1) have one either. As far as I can see it is impossible to fit an optical viewfinder in a camera that small without making too big to be a compact camera or hideously ugly (*cough* G10). As long as it has a good 460k or 920k res screen it will be fine for the market its aimed at, mainly being someone's 2nd/3rd or maybe even 4th camera or just as an expensive toy.

That said, I still would'nt say no to one...

I agree completely, especially with the last sentence; Leica makes beautiful products, period. I wouldn't quite go so far as to call them the Apple of the photography world, (and I'm an Apple fan) but the design factor, ergonomics and the sheer quality of the photos tend to make them pretty irresistible, if still fairly unaffordable.

Cheers and good luck

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
I recently purchased a D-Lux 4 and I'm very happy with the photo quality. The settings are a little weird but overall picture quality is great. The 2 - 2.8 lens on the camera is a huge improvement of the slow zoom on my previous camera. Leica seems to make baby steps in creating a great small camera and it looks like many versions will be needed -- however what is out there now is very much worth looking at.

Pocket lint

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
In my trousers
Looks more like a mockup than a ps to me (?)

And a real bad one at that.

Notice the lugs: The only reason to put the lugs out in front is to balance a camera using heavy big lenses. Why on earth would Leica do that to a fixed lens-camera?

anyway, I think the mock-up is butt-ugly. No tight fitting of anything.

Oh, also, there's a picture of the (soon to be revealed?) M9 "leaked" with this picture. The M9 sitting next to the "X1", and on the M9 they couldn't even get the lens to sit at 90 degrees to the body, and the hot shoe sides aren't parallel (on the supposed M9, that is).

I call fake to this. And I don't like the look of it one bit.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Now that's a really poor PS job.

And a real bad one at that.

Notice the lugs: The only reason to put the lugs out in front is to balance a camera using heavy big lenses. Why on earth would Leica do that to a fixed lens-camera?

anyway, I think the mock-up is butt-ugly. No tight fitting of anything.

Oh, also, there's a picture of the (soon to be revealed?) M9 "leaked" with this picture. The M9 sitting next to the "X1", and on the M9 they couldn't even get the lens to sit at 90 degrees to the body, and the hot shoe sides aren't parallel (on the supposed M9, that is).

I call fake to this. And I don't like the look of it one bit.

Leica X1 Hands-On

Obviously fake. They even fooled DPReview.

Oh well. Point and laugh at me for recently getting a D-Lux 4. I'd kill for the dedicated external manual control dials that the X1 has; I hate that stupid 4-way knob on the LX3/D-Lux 4. However, I agree that the styling is pretty odd-looking (maybe not butt-ugly), and think that the D-Lux looks much nicer. They called the D-Lux 4 the "son of M8" so I guess they more fully realized the concept with the X1 looking like a miniature M9.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
How is it fake, it looks exactly the same?

The only difference is the DPReview sample doesn't have the battery grip and the writing round the lens is different

Pocket lint

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
In my trousers
Leica X1 Hands-On

Oh well. Point and laugh at me for recently getting a D-Lux 4. I'd kill for the dedicated external manual control dials that the X1 has; I hate that stupid 4-way knob on the LX3/D-Lux 4. However, I agree that the styling is pretty odd-looking (maybe not butt-ugly), and think that the D-Lux looks much nicer. They called the D-Lux 4 the "son of M8" so I guess they more fully realized the concept with the X1 looking like a miniature M9.

Obviously we were mistaken. However, the old "leaked" picture still look like crap, whereas the newer pictures looks more "assembled".

In any case, the X1 won't be aviable until january 2010, and if past history is anything to go by, it will be delayed. So enjoy your D-Lux 4 until then. I know I am.

How is it fake, it looks exactly the same?

The only difference is the DPReview sample doesn't have the battery grip and the writing round the lens is different

And the DPreview pictures have tighter fitting and have leather where the "original" picture shows black paint.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I eat my hat.

Now obviously the camera is real (I think the bit that threw me is the optional screw-on grip that we can see in the leaked file), but I still think that leaked image looks oddly pixellated.

To be honest, not that impressed with Leica's releases. The M9 is shockingly expensive (and you used to think the M8 was bad...), and the X1 looks like it'll be a really expensive compact camera that'll cost more than a dSLR.

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
Hahahaha... beautiful! If there were a reputation points system on this board I'd give you one.

Now obviously the camera is real (I think the bit that threw me is the optional screw-on grip that we can see in the leaked file), but I still think that leaked image looks oddly pixellated.
It has been poorly downsampled and for some reason looks like it was photographed with a 10Mpx compact at 800ISO with in-camera NR. There was no way it looked like a composite to me, despite that.

But who wants a fixed-lens camera? Not I. I think Micro 4/3 is the way to go for small, high quality cameras. The X1 no doubt has a fine sensor but what's the point if the lens is fixed??

EDIT: Leica's design is superb often enough. The M series are beautiful cameras (except the M5). I have two. :) But I prefer CV lenses for most focal lengths.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
I don't really see the point of a camera with a fixed 35mm lens that can be changed for two grand. No matter how pretty, no matter how much it looks like an old style Leica where exactly does this camera fit in the range of what you put in your camera bag?

Pocket lint

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
In my trousers
Hey, its not my fault I'm thick :D

We all have off-days :p

Edit:
I don't really see the point of a camera with a fixed 35mm lens that can be changed for two grand. No matter how pretty, no matter how much it looks like an old style Leica where exactly does this camera fit in the range of what you put in your camera bag?

I sort of see the use. I spent years with a 35mm lens when I entered the world of photography. It was great when you were out and about, doing interviews and covering events.

Of course, it depends entirely on how you work and what you take pictures of. Bird, macro, and landscape photographers would have no use for this sort of thing, neither would people who loves their zoom lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.