Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Hi everyone,
I've been hovering around this section as I just got into photography late into the summer.

I have a Canon Rebel XSi (450D) with the 18-55mm IS Kit Lens.

However, I am going back home to Dubai in Christmas and I wanted advice on a lens. I am mostly interested in landscapes, skylines, etc.
I would like something with a greater zoom as the Kit Lens is doing fine for things further away. I feel the zoom is too little on the 18-55.

I'm a total noob and would like to spend around $300CAD.
I looked at the 75-300mm lens (Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 II USM Lens) but I heard it wasn't that good. I have heard good things about the 55-250mm IS lense which is a little bit more than what I would like to spend, but if it is worth it I will put in the extra cash.

Just please advise me on a lens you think best suits cityscapes/landscapes with a zoom.
I am not one to change the lens much, but only when I know I'm going somewhere specific to shoot.

Thanks

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
^^ Thanks.

I could spend $300 USD+ (Canadian is weak now lol). Budget isn't too big of a deal, just want an idea on what is out there for around $300.
I will be making a trip to the States so any advice would be great. Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
.... I am mostly interested in landscapes, skylines, etc.
I looked at the 75-300mm lens (Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 II USM Lens) but I heard it wasn't that good. I have heard good things about the 55-250mm IS lense which is a little bit more than what I would like to spend,

Are you really planning to use a 300m or 250mm lens to shoot "landscapes, skylines, etc." ? Seriously. I ask the question because a lens not "good" or "bad" it can only be matched or not to some intended use. Both, I'd think are un-matched to landscape photography.

Are you trying to shoot sports or wildlife or people? If so there are lenses well matched to those subjects. The more specific you can be about the subjects you might shoot the better you can match a lens to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.