Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I'm looking to buy the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G AF VR soon. I live in the UK and it costs ~£1100 (~$2200 USD), however I might be going to NYC for a few days in February and was wondering if I'd be able to pick the lens up over there.

I've seen B&H recommended a lot on these forums and see they have a store in NY so am considering waiting and trying to pick up over there as I can save about £300.

The only problem with doing this is whether I'd actually be able to get the lens. Are there many other reputable places I could visit should B&H not have any in stock? Any other options I'm not thinking of?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Don't even think about it: DO IT

I went to NY last month with the sole purpose of getting my underwater housing and strobes. I relied on couchsurfing to sleep, so it only cost me the plane ticket.

- If you want to save money since minute 1, go to Manhattan from the airport by train. Depending on the hour of the day, it's much (really!) faster than taking a cab, and costs around three dollars instead of 45 (cabs have a flat fee to Manhattan)

- If you need to exchange cash, find a Chase bank, avoid as much as possible the cash exchange service at JFK.

- You can print out the directions and map on BH site, but let me tell you, it's extremely easy to get there by train (a 2 minutes walk from the nearest station).

- You can always try other shops, but the odds are, BH will have the lens in stock. It's HUGE.

- Keep in mind that on the top of the price you see on the web, you'll pay a 8.5% (more or less) local sales tax. Does anybody know under which conditions you can get a refund later? It sucks, but it's still MUCH cheaper than buying it in the UK or from the UK.

- You can also ask for a grey market, non-us warranty lens. You'd get the same warranty Nikon offers, but through BH. ;) Markie.

- At BH, first, you order, then, you pay, and only after that you actually get your stuff (that's what they call a superstore!), so:
Ask first if they've got some second hand lens. At BH, they're superb. (I don't know if they let you see the actual sample, but if it's in good condition, you should jump on it: It'd be even cheaper than new, and you'd get to try the lens, which is priceless.

- If you don't want to pay taxes back home, just
1: Get rid of everything: Box, manuals... (send your warranty home by mail, since you'll probably send a postcard or two...)
2: Take your camera with you on the trip (like you wouldn't take it with you to NY!) and on the flight back, keep everything together like it's been yours since your grandpa bought in in the late fifties :D
3: It's better if your camera bag looks used and not like a camera bag. (although this rule applies for everything, not only customs).

;)

- If you're in Manhattan, forget about cabs, the trains is faster and cheaper. Get 10 fares tickets ASAP.

- Make sure you enjoy New York.

If you've got any question, just send me a private message.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
Buy it in the UK of course! I bought a sony alpha lens (75-300) although the f-stop isnt great it's a nice lens. i think you mentioned this huge lens is because of the f2.8 (and it's expensive, too). for me, I should've gone for the sony alpha 18-200 lens... ooo but it's also really expensive, but there's no need to to change lenses all the time (18-70, 75-300 etc.).

Juan Moro said:
1: Get rid of everything: Box, manuals... (send your warranty home by mail, since you'll probably send a postcard or two...)
2: Take your camera with you on the trip (like you wouldn't take it with you to NY!) and on the flight back, keep everything together like it's been yours since your grandpa bought in in the late fifties
biggrin.gif

3: It's better if your camera bag looks used and not like a camera bag. (although this rule applies for everything, not only customs).

wink.gif

I do this sometimes. The customs in South Africa are furious! Or take the proof of purchase (receipt) documentation of your camera with, and when they really digged out your camera, show them that you bought it in the UK, well, the officers wont know what a "70-200" is. it's stuck on the camera (I doubt that they even know that a DSLR lens is removable) so you say that the whole thing was purchased in the UK.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Buy it in the UK of course! I bought a sony alpha lens (75-300) although the f-stop isnt great it's a nice lens. i think you mentioned this huge lens is because of the f2.8 (and it's expensive, too). for me, I should've gone for the sony alpha 18-200 lens... ooo but it's also really expensive, but there's no need to to change lenses all the time (18-70, 75-300 etc.).

I do this sometimes. The customs in South Africa are furious! Or take the proof of purchase (receipt) documentation of your camera with, and when they really digged out your camera, show them that you bought it in the UK, well, the officers wont know what a "70-200" is. it's stuck on the camera (I doubt that they even know that a DSLR lens is removable) so you say that the whole thing was purchased in the UK.

I don't know what you mean... Either you are off thread, or I haven't understood what the OP meant...
:confused:

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I'm from th UK and if your making the trip there anyway I would personally wait and save the money. The exchange at the moment is great also. I was going to do this also on my equipment but I couldn't afford to go in the end. But I did pick up the tricks on tak camera with few lenses and mail box home and warranty etc, otherwise you could well be hit on customs and VAT on re-entry... lovely eh? :rolleyes: (what Juan says :))

There is a man in the UK that goes between the US and UK as his main job. He sells discounted Nikon and Canon lenses on eBay and even more discounted for POTN forum members. His ID on eBay and the forums is Kerso.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
"- Ask for a grey market, non-US WARRANTY lens, so you can get the real, actual worldwide warranty and at the same time, avoid paying more for less. If they don'thave any of those in stock, go for the US ones..."

Good advice to buy from B&H but you're totally wrong on this.

A grey market lens sold in the US has *NO* warranty from Canon. B&H will honor the warranty if you mail it to them, but Canon won't anywhere.

A US market lens sold in the US has a worldwide warranty Canon will honor anywhere.

You got it totally backwards mate :p . That's why the US market one is more - because it's covered by Canon's worldwide warranty.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think i've made my mind up to wait and buy when I visit. Thanks for pointing out about the opening days. I'll make sure to plan around those.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
"- Ask for a grey market, non-US WARRANTY lens, so you can get the real, actual worldwide warranty and at the same time, avoid paying more for less. If they don'thave any of those in stock, go for the US ones..."

Good advice to buy from B&H but you're totally wrong on this.

A grey market lens sold in the US has *NO* warranty from Canon. B&H will honor the warranty if you mail it to them, but Canon won't anywhere.

A US market lens sold in the US has a worldwide warranty Canon will honor anywhere.

You got it totally backwards mate :p . That's why the US market one is more - because it's covered by Canon's worldwide warranty.

Sorry, I stand corrected, sometimes my brains get too hot, and I write things like that. Actually, after proof-reading it, I don't even know how I could write it! :p I guess I just changed a part of the sentence by typing over it.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Personally I think buying Lenses in the UK is a pain in the ass due to the sky high prices, and they are high, When i bought my Sigma 70-200 F2.8 a while back It was anywhere between £680 - £800, but i bought overseas and paid £432, I like the Lens, a lot, but i wouldn't buy in the UK because of the high prices, I would like the Nikkor 70-200 VR too, and I think that will be coming from oversea's too, good luck anyway just thought i'd blow off a little steam about the UK's crappy prices :mad: :D

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I know what you mean Mr.Noisy. I normally just suffer and pay the higher price but I thought as I was going away I'd look into buying abroad this time.

I might even have to try and get the 28-70mm while I'm there as well if I have enough spare cash!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
"

Wait. No matter where I buy my Nikkor lens Canon WON'T service it? WTF is that about?

henryp

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
New York, NY
I'm looking to buy the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G AF VR soon. I live in the UK and it costs ~£1100 (~$2200 USD), however I might be going to NYC for a few days in February and was wondering if I'd be able to pick the lens up over there.

I've seen B&H recommended a lot on these forums and see they have a store in NY so am considering waiting and trying to pick up over there as I can save about £300.

The only problem with doing this is whether I'd actually be able to get the lens. Are there many other reputable places I could visit should B&H not have any in stock? Any other options I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for thinking of us. You can check availability of the
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF on our site. You should also know that if you buy in our NYC store, we have to collect local sales tax, which is not a VAT & cannot be recovered when you leave the USA or arrive home.

Another poster mentioned our hours. We close at 1:00pm on Fridays (NYC time) and are closed all day every Saturday. We're open Mon through Thur 9-7 & Sun 10-5.

Regarding "grey market," Canon USA has historically treated "grey market" film cameras & lenses as if they were US-warranted as long as the owner can provide dated proof-of-purchase. Nikon USA though has announced repeatedly they will never knowingly work on any "grey market" product, in warranty time or out; this includes that they will not do repair work on any item they ID as "grey market" for the usual parts + labor repair fees.

Outside the USA, your mileage will surely vary.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL

Thanks for thinking of us. You can check availability of the
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF on our site. You should also know that if you buy in our NYC store, we have to collect local sales tax, which is not a VAT & cannot be recovered when you leave the USA or arrive home.

Another poster mentioned our hours. We close at 1:00pm on Fridays (NYC time) and are closed all day every Saturday. We're open Mon through Thur 9-7 & Sun 10-5.

Regarding "grey market," Canon USA has historically treated "grey market" film cameras & lenses as if they were US-warranted as long as the owner can provide dated proof-of-purchase. Nikon USA though has announced repeatedly they will never knowingly work on any "grey market" product, in warranty time or out; this includes that they will not do repair work on any item they ID as "grey market" for the usual parts + labor repair fees.

Outside the USA, your mileage will surely vary.

Stright from the "mouth" of an expert! Thanks for the info on store hours. I will have to try and schedule my flight home from a conference so I will be ablwe to stop by B&H. Great store with great service and proces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.