Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
So I noticed a speck when shooting with my 70-300, and it shows up in photographs, which of course makes me want to smash. So I cleaned the lens inside and out with compressed air, and I'm still getting that speck. It doesn't show up with the other two lenses. Anybody have any tips on getting that little guy, or do I have to take it to Ritz or someplace and have it cleaned? And if so, how much would that cost?

Also, on a semi related note, my father is whining about a camera, so I want to bestow upon him my d50 while I upgrade. If any of you are thinking of unloading a DSLR, drop me a line. I'm not really committed to any particular model/brand, but an upgrade from my current body would be preferable.

And please tell me what to do about that lens speck; I'm going hiking tomorrow and really don't want to spend the weekend in photoshop.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
First off, calm down, and try not to smash anything. It costs money, and you'll likely be sorry afterwards.

Now- you have a 70-300... Nikon, I'm assuming. I'll guess it's the 4.5-5.6 VR.

OK- do you have any filters on the front element- like a UV filter or a PMC? Have you tried cleaning that? If not then you should.

If you don't have a filter on the lens, then you should probably try cleaning it the right way. First off put the canned air down. That can sprays a bunch of liquid crap, that will only lead you to more heartache. Go to Ritz, or wherever, and get yourself a lens brush, a microfiber cloth, and some lens cleaning solution (you can also get away with using some nail-polish remover, or a sprayer for dry-erase boards (it's all acetone), but everything will cost you about $10). Brush any dust off the lens front and rear, and then drop a couple of drops of the solution, using the microfiber cloth to clean the lens.

If you still have spots, and your glass looks pristine, it could either be on your sensor, or inside the lens (less likely).

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
Yes, yes, and yes. I have a UV filter on it, and I had swabbed both the lens and the filter surface with lens cleaning fluid. Still has a speck.

penguinman

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
do you see this piece of dust more at a higher aperture? I bet you have dust on your sensor.. you can get it cleaned by a local camera shop, call them for a price.. otherwise, if the speck appears only at certain focus point then you might have a scratch on one of the inside elements.... I had a lense that somehow on the inside an element had a nick in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.