Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuiceyJuice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ok, I have a Nikon D3000 with the kit lens 18-55mm, 55-200mm, and just recently got the 35mm 1.8 prime. I will also be getting a Tokina 12-24mm. I'm looking for some suggestions on what types and kinds of filters to look into for these lenses. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
A polarizer should be in everyone's kit, IMO.

You can save money by on filters by buying the largest filter size you'll need, and then buying inexpensive step-up rings for your lenses so you can use the polarizer with all of them. I standardized my filter set at 77mm, since that's the Nikon (and Canon) "pro" size - I figured it was unlikely I'd ever have a lens that needed any filter larger than that.

BTW given the low cost of the first two lenses you list, I don't see the point in a "protective" filter. For a good one you're going to spend 1/3 to 1/2 the replacement cost of the lens. If you buy a cheap one, then you're compromising image quality.

If you do end up buying protective filters, then obviously my "step up" ring idea doesn't apply in that case since you'd want to keep a filter on each lens.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I've had a simple 'skylight' filter on each lens I've ever own (I take better pix when I'm not worrying about getting equipment damaged). Other filters? Wait till there's something you want to do that's impossible with the gear you already have (no point filling your bag with stuff you don't really need). Less is more, IMO...

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
A polarizer should be in everyone's kit, IMO.

You can save money by on filters by buying the largest filter size you'll need, and then buying inexpensive step-up rings for your lenses so you can use the polarizer with all of them. I standardized my filter set at 77mm, since that's the Nikon (and Canon) "pro" size - I figured it was unlikely I'd ever have a lens that needed any filter larger than that.
Or just buying a Lee/Cokin filter set ;)

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
UV filters are a waste, unless you are shooting in the desert (Sahara for example). The only filters that are worth anything, IMO, are grad, PL and ND. Everything else, you can do in photoshop.

I agree that graduated ND filters (or reverse, etc) should be the square style. I just ordered a 3 stop SE Galen Rowell filter.

I have never used a UV filter, and I have never had a scratched lens. They are more durable than you think. Just use some lens cleaner, a dedicated lens cloth (hand wash it) and a lens pen, as well as a giottos blower. I have been using these for years and years and years, and never have had a problem. I shoot in the rain and stuff quite a bit, as that is how it is up here.

JuiceyJuice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the advice guys, BUT I was actually looking for suggestions for Neutral Density filters, exactly what type to purchase for the camera/lenses I have. I wasn't really too worried about prtection yet with the relatively low cost of the lenses I currently own.

Suggestions?

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
My suggestion would be to buy 77mm ones and step up rings. Saves you buying NDs per lens. B&W do good ones and I have some of the Hoya Pro1 digital ones which are fine (I have an ND4 and ND8 which along with a circular polariser covers all eventualities for me)

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Is there any difference between, say a plane ND filter and a "digital" ND filter? Or is the "digital" label that I've seen on some filters just a marketing scheme?

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
^

I wasn't aware they labeled them "digital" and non-digital, if that tells you anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.