Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
What lens would you recommend I carry into a small-medium sized nightclub? Obviously the lighting will be horrible, so I'll need a fast lens. Right now I'm thinking of either the 35mm f2 or 11-16mm f2.8. Or maybe both..?

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Depends...

You didn't say what kind of camera you've got, but if your camera can take a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, you'll get a stop faster than f/2, and two stops faster than f/2.8, so that may be a good bet.

You also haven't said what sort of event or photos you're taking. For example, if you're taking shots of a band on stage, you may want the extra reach of an 85mm f/1.8 or, if you can afford it and shoot Canon or Nikon, 85mm f/1.2.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
1.8 or faster. 85 for the band. 50 for fans. 35 or wider for more than one person. I'd have all three.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Oh, right, I have a D70s with an SB-600 with a Sto-fen on it.

I wish I have a D300, the noise level in higher ISOs is going to be the problem here. :p

digitalfrog

Suspended
Nov 26, 2007
If this is traditional night club then the following information applies, if it's a musical band, like a concert in a club it does NOT apply.

I would not recommend you spending ANY money on a lens to shoot in a night club .... for now....

I'm don't know what lens you have, but are likely to have at least something around 50mm.

The key in nightclub photography is NOT just the lens, it's mostly the flash technique, and you do have a good one !

I started in nightclubs with D70 and the same flash + the kit lens and that was plenty enough.

There is no need to have a fast lens, because you will want to shoot at a slow speed - sometimes down to a half second handheld. The action will be frozen by the flash.

Try it at home first in the evening, with just a few lights on.

Later on, you may want to go with a wide angle if you do not have one already. It's a big plus to give power to your pictures, and because clubs are crowded so you can't step back too much.

Of course, a f/1.2 or f/1.4 lens will help doing some DJ shoots and so on - but 99% of my pictures are NOT shot so open. My guess is that most of them are shot around f/4 or even more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.