Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi Everyone. Back from my old thread, I'm in the same situation. I am wondering if I should just go for a Canon 50mm f1.8 or if there were any other lenses in the very low price range of apx $70-$110 that might benefit me. I guess what I'm looking for is not a full out macro lens, but something that can get relatively good close ups. (Better that what I can with my 18-55mm) On top of that, I would also want just good walk around shots. Would the Canon 50mm f/1.8 be my best choice?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Everyone. Back from my old thread, I'm in the same situation. I am wondering if I should just go for a Canon 50mm f1.8 or if there were any other lenses in the very low price range of apx $70-$110 that might benefit me. I guess what I'm looking for is not a full out macro lens, but something that can get relatively good close ups. (Better that what I can with my 18-55mm) On top of that, I would also want just good walk around shots. Would the Canon 50mm f/1.8 be my best choice?

For the price you're talking about, the only lens I'd recommend is the "thrifty fifty". It'll only give you .15x magnification, which is nowhere near true macro, but considering that its minimum focusing distance is 45cm, you can have a bit of a play.

Walkaround shots is a bit hard to answer; there's too many variables. Literally any lens can be a "walkaround" lens (well, subject to weight; I doubt too many people would walk around with the 1200mm, for example :D), depending on exactly what it is you're trying to shoot. But by and large, I have no qualms about suggesting you get it and try it. It's an excellent lens for the price; you won't go too far wrong with it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Hi Everyone. I guess what I'm looking for is not a full out macro lens, but something that can get relatively good close ups. (Better that what I can with my 18-55mm)

I haven't checked the specs on the Canon 18-55 mm kit lens, but it likely has a reproduction ratio of around 1:4, which is actually VERY good for a non-macro lens. Even many of the Sigma "macro" lenses can only achieve a reproduction ratio of 1:3.8 (ie: the same as you get with the kit).

So I guess you should stick with what you have.

THe 50 mm f/1.8 is nice to own anyway, but it's not going to allow you to take macro photographs.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
How about the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro? It has a larger focal range than the kit lens and from the reviews its optically better too - but its almost $400.

I am also considering the Sigma to replace my kit lens, it's either this or the much more expensive Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

Regarding your price range the only lens i found to have positive reviews is indeed the 50mm f/1.8. I say go for it so you'll have something to play with while you are saving up for a more expensive/better lens.

There is also a 50mm f/2.8 macro from canon for about $300 but it's not a true 1:1 macro AFAIK.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hey Kevin,
The 50mm is a great lens, but if you don't shoot many portraits, it won't do you much good. Looking at your smugmug, you don't. Based on the kind of stuff you seem to be in to, your best choices are the 35mm f/2, 50mm f/2.5 macro. You also may just want to sell your kit lens and buy a nice 17-80 of that sort.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
If all you need is the ability to get a bit closer, screw-on diopters work well. They go on like a filter and come in various "powers". Quality varies and it's worth it to get a good one. Nikon and Canon brands of diopters are good. The Nikon ones are actually achromatic doublets. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achromat#Minimizing_chromatic_aberration)

Could you elaborate on this? They do go on the lens itself, no?

Also, how does everyone feel about 2x extenders? Are they worth it? That way I could use them to turn a 50mm into a 100 for macro abilities.

weazle1098

macrumors regular
Haha…

…Hahaha… just bought the cheapo little bugger today, and so far I really like it, for all of 6 hours with it. It does feel like a POS, but the photos are really nice and 1.8, you could go for the 50m 1.8, but whats the sence if you don't want to pay some 300$ for the one stop, if you want to look at it that way. ANYWAY, I really like it, but I've only had it for, like I said 6 hours, but i dont' think you can go wrong with something less than 80$

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Could you elaborate on this? They do go on the lens itself, no?

Also, how does everyone feel about 2x extenders? Are they worth it? That way I could use them to turn a 50mm into a 100 for macro abilities.

Yes, a diopter-type "lens" screws into the front of your lens. The Canon 500D is available in several filter sizes. Nikon's 4T, 5T and 6T are no longer available new, but you may be able to pick one or more of them up somewhere in the used marketplace.

Teleconverters are meant to be used on long lenses to extend the reach even further. They are not meant to be put on short lenses such as the 50mm. One reason is that you could damage the glass of the lens itself if the teleconverter bashes into it when installed on the camera. Aside from that, you lose two full stops of light when using a 2x converter and that can cause problems, especially if you are trying to shoot something close up. If you want macro capabilities, buy a proper macro lens or buy the popular Kenko extension tubes, which do not have glass in them but which will enable the 50mm or other lens to move in closer to your subject. With Kenko tubes autofocus functionality is still retained, but with some other extension tubes it is not.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
What about Hoya filters? Do they work good? What size would I need to fit on the 50mm?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Will a Canon 500D titled:...

"Canon 500D 52mm Close up Lens for Canon S1 IS Digital Camera"

...Work?

I see it says it is for an S1 but it is threaded for a 52mm which the Canon 50mm f1.8 uses. Will it matter? Please, get back to me soon. I found a good deal and don't want to let it pass me up.. (if of course it will work)

Thanks!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Aside from that, you lose two full stops of light when using a 2x converter and that can cause problems, especially if you are trying to shoot something close up. If you want macro capabilities, buy a proper macro lens or buy the popular Kenko extension tubes, which do not have glass in them but which will enable the 50mm or other lens to move in closer to your subject.

Yeah, a teleconverter will cost you 2 stops. Manual focusing using a non-macro lens is difficult because even a slight turn of the focus ring will change the focus significantly, whereas turning the focus ring of a macro lens will result in little change, which gives you more precision when focusing using a macro lens.

And forget autofocus. Lenses aren't (generally) capable of focusing when the maximum aperture is above f/5.6. An exception is some of the long Sigma lenses, which trick the camera into thinking that a lens with a max aperture of f/6.3 lens actually has a max aperture of f/5.6, even though it doesn't.

Again, your 18-55 mm lens actually has a decent reproduction ratio of around 1:4. Here's a photo of a bee that I took using a Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8. Like your kit lens, it has a reproduction ratio of around 1:4. I did NOT crop it. If this is good enough for you, your kit lens may be good enough. It doesn't have large aperture, but good results are still very possible.

I also own a proper Nikon 105 mm f/2.8 macro lens that does 1:1 lifesize macro. Even with that lens, do you think I always shoot things at 1:1?? No way! It's too difficult without setting up with a tripod, and without a lot of patience. Sometimes I'll shoot at 1:2 or 1:3.

Attachments

• bee.jpg
    bee.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 77

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Okay, one last question. Will I need an adapter to fit the filter on my lens? It doesn't look like the lens is threaded, how would the filter fit on? Would the filter have to be a 52mm size? Does the filter just snap on?.. Like the lens cap?

Thanks

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Okay, one last question. Will I need an adapter to fit the filter on my lens? It doesn't look like the lens is threaded

Then you're not looking closely enough. It is threaded; it takes standard 52mm filters. (We are talking about the Canon 50mm f/1.8, I assume.) I just passed mine on to a mate with a (very cheap) 52mm UV filter attached.

It's just not as obvious as it is on other lenses, but believe me, the thread is there.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Will a Canon 500D titled:...

"Canon 500D 52mm Close up Lens for Canon S1 IS Digital Camera"

...Work?

I see it says it is for an S1 but it is threaded for a 52mm which the Canon 50mm f1.8 uses. Will it matter? Please, get back to me soon. I found a good deal and don't want to let it pass me up.. (if of course it will work)

Thanks!
I see no reason that it wouldn't work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.