Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
My nikkor 85mm f/1.8 D seems to be messed up.. it was working fine when all of a sudden the displayon my nikon d-50 shows "F--" .. its unable to autofocus, can't set the f-stop.. etc. I can manually focus but i can't set the aperture.. Its happened before and i gave it a 'whack' once.. and it was ok. That treatment doesn't seem to be working right now!

Is this a significant problem? Or is it one that nikon service should be able to fix pretty easily? I don't want to spend too much time or money.. i'd rather just buy a new lens but i'm concerned it might happen again. All my other lenses work fine.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
You may have already tried the following, but take the lens off and clean the contacts with a (clean) eraser. Take a look at the contacts in the lens mount; however, obviously be careful about how you clean these - don't want eraser bits (much less dust) getting on your sensor.

Good luck,
Frank

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Music_Producer said:
My nikkor 85mm f/1.8 D seems to be messed up.. it was working fine when all of a sudden the displayon my nikon d-50 shows "F--" .. its unable to autofocus, can't set the f-stop.. etc. I can manually focus but i can't set the aperture.. Its happened before and i gave it a 'whack' once.. and it was ok. That treatment doesn't seem to be working right now!

Is this a significant problem? Or is it one that nikon service should be able to fix pretty easily? I don't want to spend too much time or money.. i'd rather just buy a new lens but i'm concerned it might happen again. All my other lenses work fine.

If a "whack" fixed it then likely some electrical contact is loose is slightly corroded. If the lens is no longer under Nikon warenty look for a local independent repair shop. Many can do a faster turnaround and cost less and if local there is no two way shipping. The one I used to use for my medium formet stuff typically told me to come back and pick it up after one or two days. If it's under warenty then you would want to send it in to Nikon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.