Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
I have had a Pentax 6x7 for a very long time with a whole group of lens for that camera. I just got the Pentax K100D, a digital body that will take my 6x7 lens. I am looking for a good all propose lens that was designed for a digital camera. I don't take many zoom shots, I prefer normal to wide angle ones. A guy at the camera store is trying to sell me on Tamaron 18-200. I don't know much about Tamaron. Any suggestions? Is a fixed lens going to be better or is a zoom with a shorter range going to still get good results?

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Well, I also recently puchased the Pentax K100D and I love it. However, I purchased mine with the kit 18-55mm lens, it is a nice walk around lens and lets me get as close as I currently need. I also have my mom's old 50mm 1:2. The digital crop factor turns it into something like a 70mm. It is nice for portraits and I have taken a few photos of my animals. In the future I'd like to get the 50-200mm Pentax.

My recomendation is probably the 18-55; it suits my needs. I also visit a forum dedicated to Pentax (d)SLR users. You can visit it here. They'll be able to help you I'm sure! You could also visit this site here, it lists all the Pentax made lenses that are built specifically for their digital bodies. It has listed a 16-45 which "features a 3X zoom ratio with focal lengths covering ultra-wide angle to normal ranges" and has a listed price of $549 US. Also, check out eBay, the camera is compatible with any Pentax K-Mount lens ever made (as well as the other mounts with adaptors), you may be able to find a old used lens on there cheap that suits your fancy (but won't be specifically made for digital cameras). Good luck fellow Pentax user!

EDIT: Just checked it out and B&H has the 16-45mm on for $309.95 after rebate.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
balofagus said:
Well, I also recently puchased the Pentax K100D and I love it. However, I purchased mine with the kit 18-55mm lens, it is a nice walk around lens and lets me get as close as I currently need. I also have my mom's old 50mm 1:2. The digital crop factor turns it into something like a 70mm. It is nice for portraits and I have taken a few photos of my animals. In the future I'd like to get the 50-200mm Pentax.

My recomendation is probably the 18-55; it suits my needs. I also visit a forum dedicated to Pentax (d)SLR users. You can visit it here. They'll be able to help you I'm sure! You could also visit this site here, it lists all the Pentax made lenses that are built specifically for their digital bodies. It has listed a 16-45 which "features a 3X zoom ratio with focal lengths covering ultra-wide angle to normal ranges" and has a listed price of $549 US. Also, check out eBay, the camera is compatible with any Pentax K-Mount lens ever made (as well as the other mounts with adaptors), you may be able to find a old used lens on there cheap that suits your fancy (but won't be specifically made for digital cameras). Good luck fellow Pentax user!

EDIT: Just checked it out and B&H has the 16-45mm on for $309.95 after rebate.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.