Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
is there a significant difference in the quality of a sigma lens and a canon lens? like in a 70-300mm lens or any lens for that matter

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Nope.

The only thing I can say about Sigma's glass is that it will hit or miss. When you buy it, use it frequently to see if there is anything wrong with it. If there is take it back. If not, it will be a perfect piece of glass.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
is there a significant difference in the quality of a sigma lens and a canon lens? like in a 70-300mm lens or any lens for that matter

as Digital Skunk said it can be hit or miss, ive used Sigma's 70-300 APO lens, good results closer rather than at the 300mm end, but i have at the moment a sigma 70-200mm f2.8 hsm,its the daddie compared to any other sigma lens, much better than the 70-300mm so it's as said hit or miss, down to money, get the hi end sigma's or canons glass, the cheaper sigma's are ok if your just starting out.Lenses like the 70-200mm f2.8 are on par with Canon or Nikon Lens in picture quality, and usually a tad cheaper.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Sigma's EX line is quite good. Their economy line is so-so and so is that of Canon.

Sigma do have other issues since they sell the same lens (with a different lens mount) for many cameras. They're not always calibrated properly for the brand and the auto focus seems to be inaccurate.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Sigma's EX line is quite good. Their economy line is so-so and so is that of Canon.

Sigma do have other issues since they sell the same lens (with a different lens mount) for many cameras. They're not always calibrated properly for the brand and the auto focus seems to be inaccurate.

Just to add some clarification... the AF is the issue I had with the 70-200mm. When I got it the AF was terrible, and I mean BAD! I sent it back and got a replacement and it was dead on accurate... on par with any Niikon glass I used. Another shooter I know uses the 30mm 1.4 and had the same issues on his D2xs, he sent it back and the replacement was perfect.

I would pick a comparable Sigma lens over a Nikon for a third the price anyday.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Just to add some clarification... the AF is the issue I had with the 70-200mm. When I got it the AF was terrible, and I mean BAD! I sent it back and got a replacement and it was dead on accurate... on par with any Niikon glass I used. Another shooter I know uses the 30mm 1.4 and had the same issues on his D2xs, he sent it back and the replacement was perfect.

I would pick a comparable Sigma lens over a Nikon for a third the price anyday.

Right. The 30mm f/1.4 has had problems for most everyone who uses auto focus on any brand camera. That's probably why it seems to be constantly back-ordered. I know people in Singapore who just went to the Sigma service centre and the lens was immediately calibrated. It's quite stunning.

I'd probably never notice a problem since I've tried auto focus no more than 15 times.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Canon and Sigma both have a wide range of qualities. From cheap to very good. You have to ask about specific lenses.

Not all companies are like this. Some companies make lenses all of about the same quality so they are kind of matched to each other. But Canon and Sigmas both have wide product lines

I good (but not perfect) indicator is the maximum f-stop. Most f/5.6 lenses are optimized for low cost where as the constant f/2.8 ones are targeted to professionals. Not a perfect rule but 95% correct.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Canon and Sigma both have a wide range of qualities. From cheap to very good. You have to ask about specific lenses.

I'd agree with this. Further, Sigma makes plenty of lenses for which there is no direct Canon equivalent, like these:

Sigma AF 100-300mm f/4 EX HSM APO
Sigma AF 120-300mm f/2.8 EX HSM APO
Sigma AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 EX APO OS
Sigma AF 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO RF
Sigma AF 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG
Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro
Sigma AF 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
Sigma AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC
Sigma AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS
Sigma AF 20mm f/1.8 EX
Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4 EX HSM DC

And of course Canon has plenty of lenses for which Sigma has no equivalent.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I had a bottom line Sigma 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro and it was wonderfully sharp, more so than the Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM II that I have... however, the colors were very bland in comparison to my Canon lenses. Once I purchased the 135 F2L by Canon, I never touched my Sigma again. I know, I upgraded to an L, but I never missed the Zoom range that the Sigma offered, I preferred just to move my feet to continue using the 135.

The 135 F2L is a PHENOMINAL (sp) lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.