Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hi,

I just got my Nikon D60 a few weeks ago, and I'm already looking for some more lenses. I already have the 18-55 VR kit lens, and the 55-200 VR. I'm now looking for a macro lens, and a good prime. I'm aware of the lens limitations that the D60 suffers from. I would like auto focus, but it isn't a must have. I would like to spend 1200 max on these two lenses. Any suggestions? I know that I'm probably asking for the impossible here. Oh, and what are your opinions on the FF issue? Should I get all my lenses in FF format? Also, if it matters I'll probably upgrade to the D80 successor in about 3-4 years.

Thanks,

Don

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
What do you want to use these for? Small things that move (butterflies, etc) or stationary things (coins, twigs). And the prime? Wide, mid, long? Sports, walkabout?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If you want to upgrade to a non-FF camera in 3-4 years, I don't think you should make all your purchases pretending you're going to get a FF camera tomorrow.

As far as the macro is concerned: do you exclusively use it as a macro lens? If yes, then you don't need AF and you've got a very wide selection of lenses available. If no, then Nikon's new 60 mm (the old one does not have AF-S and you cannot autofocus that lens on the D60) and 105 mm macro lenses are obvious starting points. Beyond that, Tokina makes a great 100 mm macro as do Tamron (90 mm) and Sigma (which also makes a 70 mm macro).

Now to the prime lens: without knowing what you're going to use the lens for, I don't think we can make any reasonable suggestion. In general, there are far and few AF-S/HSM prime lenses aside from the big guns, of course. Sigma makes a 1.4/50 mm and a 1.4/30 mm with HSM (hypersonic motor) so you can autofocus with your D60.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The new Nikon 60mm macro lens will auto focus with your D60. It will work well as a macro lens and it makes a nice portrait lens too. 60mm is a good length for head and shoulders shots. The new macro lens is Nikon's only prime lens that is AF-S.

Take the money you were going to spend on the second lens and buy a nice tripod. The tripod will do more to improve your work than a fourth lens. And you need it for macro work. If you have any more left over budget spend it on lighting equipment.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
The prime would be for sports, so am I right when I say that I would need a fast lens? The macro would be used for moving things, like insects, and it would also be used for flowers. Sorry about not being clear. Also could anyone recommend a good tripod, and a good flash?

Thanks,

Don

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Please for give me for interrupting the thread, but I just registered and have not figured out how to start a thread.

There's a large "New thread" button at the top of every forum. Please do start your own thread. Although we shouldn't discuss it in someone else's thread, I will say: no. Don't waste your money on that particular bundle.

OP: The Sigma 30mm 1.4 HSM prime has gotten fairly good reviews, but it probably wouldn't be good for you if your intention is for sports. You need more length for that. You might look into a 80-200mm f/2.8; Nikon's is excellent but pricey, and people who have used the Sigma HSM version say it is nearly as good and half the cost.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The prime would be for sports, so am I right when I say that I would need a fast lens? The macro would be used for moving things, like insects, and it would also be used for flowers. Sorry about not being clear. Also could anyone recommend a good tripod, and a good flash?
Macro ≠ sports. Most macro lenses autofocus slower than non-macro lenses (longer focus path for increased AF accuracy). If you want a sports lens, you don't get an advantage in terms of speed, Nikon's 2.8/180 mm tele (which works on your D60) is not in any way faster than, say, a 2.8/80-200 mm zoom. (The only exception here is Nikon's 2/200 mm prime which you can't afford anyway, it's 4 grand, here you gain something in terms of speed.)

So have a look at 2.8/80-200 zooms (Nikon's is about $900, Sigma and Tamron also have the type of lens). You might also want to have a look at Tokina's and Sigma's 2.8/50-135/150 zooms, they weigh half of the 80-200 zooms, work beautifully as portrait lenses and are a tad cheaper.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Macro ≠ sports. Most macro lenses autofocus slower than non-macro lenses (longer focus path for increased AF accuracy). If you want a sports lens, you don't get an advantage in terms of speed, Nikon's 2.8/180 mm tele (which works on your D60) is not in any way faster than, say, a 2.8/80-200 mm zoom. (The only exception here is Nikon's 2/200 mm prime which you can't afford anyway, it's 4 grand, here you gain something in terms of speed.)

So have a look at 2.8/80-200 zooms (Nikon's is about $900, Sigma and Tamron also have the type of lens). You might also want to have a look at Tokina's and Sigma's 2.8/50-135/150 zooms, they weigh half of the 80-200 zooms, work beautifully as portrait lenses and are a tad cheaper.

I don't think you understand, I am looking for either a long prime or telephoto for sports, and I am also looking for a macro lens. So 2 lenses.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.