Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You could have taken either photo with just the kit lens.

The first photo of the street was just of a street with dramatic clouds, and I'm sorry, but cranked contrast and a play around with the tones, maybe a Photoshop filter of some sort. I'm not saying it's easy. I'm just saying it looks entirely unnatural, so it isn't going to be attainable regardless of which lens you buy. No lens is going to make your photos look like a cartoon. Sorry. :eek:

It's a nice photo, though. The 2nd photo is also nice, and also attainable with just the kit lens.

If you need to buy a lens, get something like a Tokina 12-24 mm or Sigma 10-20 mm. They're the widest you're going to be able to get, and it may do it for you. :)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I think the street photo might be, but the tree-lined path as well?

It's certainly not tone mapped with the (rather cliché at the moment) fattal operator, but may have been done with Ashkinim or Reinhard. [/HDR Algorithm Geek-Rant]

You seem to want extreme perspective, which you'd want a 12-24mm for. Let me warn you, though, that the cool factor will wear off once the realization is made that not shots warrant this type of perspective, and all of your shots are too wide. You also seem to want to have nicely colored/lit scenes. Either find a spot to wait for optimum conditions (I may sound sarcastic, but I'm not; I spent half an hour today lying in mud just to get a shot of some ducks) or get good at photoshop. Most of the techniques from these photos can be learned in Creative Photoshop Landscape Techniques by Les Meehan. Also, before getting specialty zooms like the 12-24, purchase the 50mm f/1.4 (or f/1.8). It will teach you loads about creative use of depth of field and framing shots with the best zoom available (your feet).

Hope this helps,
wmmk

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I think the street photo might be, but the tree-lined path as well?

Look at the lamp in the trees (on the left). That's impossible with conventional photography.

Edit: Come to think of it, they both look photoshoped. There is no way he managed to get that motorcycle turning with two shots. My guess is heavy rendering. To answer the OP's question, to get wide angle shots, you'll need a wide angle lens. At this point, probably the best investment would be in a 10-22 EF-S lens. Yes, it will cost you about $675, but it's one of the better lenses you'll buy. If you're interested in landscape photography, this one is a must given your Rebel X-Ti.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
Try something like the EF-s 10-22. And all these are HDR (high-dynamic range). Search the forums for the 1000000 threads on it.

ROTFL!
Yeah, anything that involves photoshop or complicated software manipulation deserves a thread.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Look at the lamp in the trees (on the left). That's impossible with conventional photography.

Edit: Come to think of it, they both look photoshoped.

Well again, I figured the city shot to be heavily photoshopped and is probably just an HDR shot. I don't really understand what you mean when referring to the lamp in the trees, though. :confused:

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
The photo of the street isn't HDR, it's heavily manipulated in Photoshop. The guy doesn't deny it, either. Ha, it's lame, but I really don't like that guy (on DA) mostly out of all the attention he gets and doesn't deserve (his photos are extremely repetitive and heavily manipulated).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey,

I am interested in getting a new lense for my 400D i have recently been tuning in onto certain aspects of photography mainly landscapes and natural shots like the ones below.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40494634/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52743417

Rich

For that kind of work any "wide-ish" lens would do. Maybe even the typical "kit" l;ens that goes to 18mm on the wide ensd of the zoom. You are lucky these are not really expensive lenses. You might look for a lens in the 12mm to 24mm range, give or take but for tripod shots like these the kit lens might do well. A good tripod will buy you more sharpness then a lens upgrade.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
A good tripod will buy you more sharpness then a lens upgrade.

Mmmm, maybe. A 50mm 1.8 @ f5.6 is going to be much sharper than his 18-55mm @ 50mm 5.6. It may be a cheap lens, but it's got decent glass on it and I found it WAY sharper than my kit lens ever was. I don't put much value in the kit lens. Sure, use Sharpen filters and the the like but digitally sharpening holds no edge against natural glass sharpness. Then add in color and contrast....

Yes, use a tri-pod and buy the 50mm 1.8. It's a slick lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.