Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
hey gang,

finally took the plunge and got myself a rebel xsi. i've had a keen interest in photography for a long time now but never could bring myself to buy myself a dSLR. :)

i'm on a really small budget right now but wanted to know what lenses i should be considering either now or in the future? i know there's sigma/tamron lenses as well... i want the best bang for my buck with great quality.. light lenses are preferred. i'm looking to get into wedding photography eventually (just an ambitious dream of mine)

so far, i have the:
- 18-55 IS kit lens
- i'm looking to get the 50 mm 1.8 II (nifty fifty) used
- and i just ordered the 70-300 MM USM III (i know there's mixed reviews on this, but i'm getting it free - i figure it's better than nothing)

thanks for any advice !

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Get used to what you have. The new IS kit lens is actually not bad. Play around with it in different conditions and find out what you actually like shooting. Once you know that you can work out what sort of lenses you need...

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
I agree, just use what you have (along w/ the nifty fifty) and learn about the camera and lenses, then try to figure out what type of photography you like.

I love macro, so a macro lens was on my short list, but you might like landscapes, in which a wider angle would be great.

It's all about what YOU like, not what others recommend. Except for the nifty fifty. Everyone has to have that, at least when first starting out!

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
You're all set. Post again in a 6-12 months.

Those three lenses will get you pretty far while you learn SLR photography. Before you buy another lens, figure out what you want it to do that your current arsenal can't.

If you're interested in wedding photography, save your pennies for a flash. (And an off-shoe cord, and a bracket, and a bounce card, ...)

Andrew

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
It is funny because a few days ago I made a post on my blog about what first lens should people buy. It turned out to be (of course) the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4.

Now I am thinking about a follow up article about what the next step would be... Lens, Flash, tripod? So many choices! I am so happy to have all my gear now, I dont have to thinker about all of these (costly) ideas!

Personally, I think that getting a used popular lens is a great way to learn photography because it will allow you to get "almost for free" a lens until you chose to move to a better quality optic. When you buy and sell used, you only lose the price of shipping...

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Lensbaby 2.0 - selective focus lens

Have you thought about trying a selective focus lens, fun to use, and creative. About $150 for the lens, macro lenses optional, but not pricey. Check out the "Lensbaby 2.0", at lensbabies.com

Focal Length: about 50 mm
Focus Type: Manual/Fingertip
Aperture Type: Interchangeable, magnetically levitating aperture disks
Apertures: f2.0, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8
Minimum Focus: about 12” (30cm) / Maximum Focus: infinity
Size: 2.25”(5.7cm) h x 2.5”(6.35cm) w / Weight: 3.7 oz (104.9g)
No electronic communication between the lens and the camera body
Available in mounts for Canon EF (EOS), Nikon F, Sony Alpha A / Minolta Maxxum, Pentax K / Samsung GX, Olympus E1 / Panasonic Lumix DMC, Leica R, Olympus OM, Canon FD, Minolta Manual, Contax/Yashica, and Screw mounts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.