Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Hey people! Can anyone recommend me some good lenses for my camera? Are there any good fisheye lenses for a Canon Digital Rebel EOS? Thanks in advance :)

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Not sure about fish eye lenses, but when I started off with my digital rebel xt, i had a 17-85 f4.0-5.6 IS and it did wonders. Might wanna check out the Tamron 28-75 as well, heard it does pretty well on rebels.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Hey people! Can anyone recommend me some good lenses for my camera? Are there any good fisheye lenses for a Canon Digital Rebel EOS? Thanks in advance :)

On a 1.6 body like the Rebel, Canon's 15mm fisheye isn't going to have much of a fisheye effect at all. You have to have a full frame camera to get the true fisheye effect.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

If you want a fisheye get the Nikon 10.5mm It works as a fisheye even on a crop body like the D50. Cheaper to buy the Nikon Body + lens than a digital Canon fisheye setup as you'd need a Canon full frame body and a not-cheap canon lens.

Other options: (1) Buy a manual focus film body and a manual fisheye lens. There is no need for AF with a fisheye as the DOF is from like 2 inches to infinity. If you are buying used film SLRs and want a fisheye, look at Nikon. They made a lot of fisheyes. Nikon invented the fisheye lens for 35mm cameras (2) Use Photoshop. Take a panoramma, say a 3x3 matrix stitch then together and then apply a strong flens distortion filter.

eyun

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2007
Or you could buy the Sigma 10-20mm for about $500. Canon makes a 10-22mm for about $750, I believe.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Or you could buy the Sigma 10-20mm for about $500. Canon makes a 10-22mm for about $750, I believe.

Both of which are extreme wide angle, but not fisheyes. They are fine lenses if you want an extreme wide angle view, but if you want a fisheye, they are not the lens to get.

Sigma makes an 8mm fisheye which may be a useful option. I don't know, having not looked at this in detail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.