Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'm trying to play around with python development on PPC Leoaprd with my Quad, after discovering to positive surprise the latest version of Python 2 and a still very recent version of Python 3 are still available for PPC OS X.

I love using PyCharm on my MacBook Pro, but the oldest version of that, 1.1, requires Java 1.6 :/

Does anybody know a decent Python IDE that can run on PPC Leopard?

Also, does anyone know what is that latest version of eclipse that will run? There are all ancient versions of Eclipse available, but I can't find an ounce of documentation indicating the system requirements for each. It's just a massive collection of downloads.
[doublepost=1519963039][/doublepost]After some trial and error, the latest version of Eclipse that works is Juno SR2.
All others after that seem to require Java 1.6.

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
IDLE can be installed via macports or Tigerbrew. It’s not great, but it does work on Leopard.

Also, although not a full IDE, TextWrangler is a great, free text editor with lots of useful IDE-style features for any language.

There are Leopard and Tiger versions still available here https://www.barebones.com/support/textwrangler/updates.html

Bluefish is another popular Linux IDE which is available via Macports. It could be worth investigating? IIRC it is gtk based, so would likely run through Xquartz / X11 on Leopard.

Reactions: tevion5

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Here's TextWrangler 3.5.3 in action on Leopard in Python mode. It handles syntax coloring, checking and execution easy enough.

Picture 9.jpg

Reactions: tevion5

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
IDLE can be installed via macports or Tigerbrew.

IDLE actually installs right from the Python install package, without any ticks! Just get the latest Python 2 or Python 3 (supporting PPC) and it works right out of the box!

I am a life long advocate of TextWrangler, or BBEdit as it is now on modern MacOS, but I was really looking for something meatier.

I can use a text editor, IDLE being not much more than that practically, but I'd much rather a lightweight yet robust enough environment like Pycharm where when I can compile and run with a single click from the menu bar, with in built navigation tools etc.

If not, I might just resort to TextWrangler. It's limited but I know it and it's my favourite editor.

I have Kepler running, I think it's 4.3

Hmm I missed that, it must be an earlier version of Kepler so, I'll try that out. I know there is a reputable Python extension for Eclipse but I'm not sure it's supported on such an old version of Java.

Reactions: AphoticD

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
I was looking for a full-featured Python IDE to run on my G4 with Leopard, so found this thread. I downloaded Eclipse Kepler 4.3 but it says it requires Java 6, and of course Leopard is stuck with 5. Is there a special build to use it with Leopard, or are you perhaps using an older version @amagichnich ?

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I was looking for a full-featured Python IDE to run on my G4 with Leopard, so found this thread. I downloaded Eclipse Kepler 4.3 but it says it requires Java 6, and of course Leopard is stuck with 5. Is there a special build to use it with Leopard, or are you perhaps using an older version @amagichnich ?
What is the exact version you tried to use? Kepler 4.3.1 works for me on Leopard

4.3.2 does NOT work but 4.3.1 does!

See my setup here:
Bild 8.png
Now of course you could add Java 1.7 to the default Java path of OS X but I find it much easier to simply add it to Eclipse.
Set 1.7 as the defaults compiler compliance level:
Bild 5.png
Set it as the default library:
Bild 7.png
Bild 6.png
Now you can use Java 1.7 features in Eclipse 4.3.1 on OS X 10.5.8!

Download 4.3.1 here
Find other old versions of Eclipse here
Modify onboard Java look here

Last edited:

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
What is the exact version you tried to use? Kepler 4.3.1 works for me on Leopard

4.3.2 does NOT work but 4.3.1 does!

See my setup here:
View attachment 762118
Now of course you could add Java 1.7 to the default Java path of OS X but I find it much easier to simply add it to Eclipse.
Set 1.7 as the defaults compiler compliance level:
View attachment 762112
Set it as the default library:
View attachment 762115
View attachment 762114
Now you can use Java 1.7 features in Eclipse 3.2.1 on OS X 10.5.8!

Download 4.3.1 here
Find other old versions of Eclipse here
Modify onboard Java look here

Eclipse 4.3.1 actually let's me update itself to 4.3.2 ?

I stumbled on your post whilst trying to install Eclipse as an IDE for Atari 8 bit development
http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Eclipse 4.3.1 actually let's me update itself to 4.3.2 ?

I stumbled on your post whilst trying to install Eclipse as an IDE for Atari 8 bit development
http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation
It does???? Wow, okay... Hm... Maybe they didn't publish compatible precompiled images for Leopard but still made them to release them via software update. Does it work with 4.3.2? If so, I have to dig deeper and find a working image

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
It does???? Wow, okay... Hm... Maybe they didn't publish compatible precompiled images for Leopard but still made them to release them via software update. Does it work with 4.3.2? If so, I have to dig deeper and find a working image

Well, I downloaded your referred 4.3.1 image and installed that , when I started Eclipse and accidently did Check for Updates ,it proposed to update to 4.3.2 , which it did and which seems to be working.

Of course I'm using it for 6502 Assembler so your mileage may vary when using it for Java .

Reactions: amagichnich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.