Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LegendaryOnes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Prague
Hello everyone,

My name is Jan and I am behind LegendaryOnes game. To be more precise it's a browser-based game. I played a lot of MonstersGame and KnightFright when I was younger, but I missed some deeper customization there. So I decided to develop my own game and improve it (at least in my opinion :). Currently I am preparing for small crowdfunding campaign. You can sign for early bird access by adding your email here or leave your email in this thread. You can also find there much more information about the game.

If you are not into text, you can watch trailer:

You can create your champion. Pick race and class. Then you fight other players, buy new armors and weapons, add skills (this feature differs my game from others, it works like passive skills from RPG games), socket your items and improve your statistics. It's simple game you can play during work or at school. There are short timers in terms of minutes. Players will be able to buy premium, but it's not pay to win, since I am gamer too and I will play as well :)

I'd love to receive some feedback. I can add some of your ideas as well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I watched the trailer. How would you best describe it? What are the game fight mechanics and visuals? Is combat automated based on stats, is there some player input when fighting, or is it a card game?

I played Pokémon Go for a year killing my wrist in the process, and driving all over my neighborhood which is stuffed with Pokestoos to capture the varmits. ;) There was no direct PVP, you fought in a gym of other people’s characters,basic combat controls, but the NME controlled by A.I. Ultimately a never ending time sink to control a gym and get in-game benefits for that, but not combat advantages.

I played Hearthstone, Blizzard’s online PVP card battle game until I realized it was pay to win, ie pay for better cards.

Hooked on this game by my Grandson :rolleyes:, I just deleted Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle, PVE, you pick your team, but combat is automated. http://dbz-dokkanbattle.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z_Dokkan_Battle_Wikia

And I am currently infrequently playing Terra Battle 2 which gives the player choice in the best way to flank an enemy. It still is holding my interest. http://www.terrabattle2.com/en/

LegendaryOnes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Prague
Hi Huntn,
Basically speaking you create your champion and battle other players champions. Every player builds his own the way (s)he wants. There are no limitations to experiment with statistics. Everything has its strengths and weaknesses.

Fight is very simple. You find enemy champion in leaderboard and click attack. Everything is solved automatically. Simple and good looking PVP game where you don't have to have fast reflexes like modern games requiere.

It's more about experimenting and building your charater.

By the way, we have just started our crowdfunding campaign. I'd like to invite everyone to have a look and check our perks! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/legendaryones-com-game-rpg/x/16814118#/

LegendaryOnes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Prague
This is longer version I used for trailer

I had to edit it in Photoshop since the last thing that is missing is to develop it into actual website.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi Huntn,
Basically speaking you create your champion and battle other players champions. Every player builds his own the way (s)he wants. There are no limitations to experiment with statistics. Everything has its strengths and weaknesses.

Fight is very simple. You find enemy champion in leaderboard and click attack. Everything is solved automatically. Simple and good looking PVP game where you don't have to have fast reflexes like modern games requiere.

It's more about experimenting and building your charater.

By the way, we have just started our crowdfunding campaign. I'd like to invite everyone to have a look and check our perks! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/legendaryones-com-game-rpg/x/16814118#/
I’m having trouble to see the appeal of what you are describing. If combat is handled automatically, the only “skill” appears to be how you equip your champion. I assume that with each win, you get points to get better gear.

Many tablet games although they don’t have a lot of depth, require on the fly decisions.
If you look at online card combat games like Hearthstone, the skill there is the sequence in which you choose to play your cards. I’m not sure if the challenge of equipping your champion is enough to be satisfying game play. And I can imagine fairly easily paths established to the best fighters that become published making the game for players to be more mechanical and maybe not that challenging. Of course I could have a misimpression.

LegendaryOnes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Prague
I played games based on this concept years ago and it had a lot of players back then. I improved the system by adding deep hierarchy of skills by which you can improve your character. The main purpose of this game is to build your champion in the way you want - and you have a lot of choices. The problem with manual battles is that it would requiere both players online which will highly reduce amount of fights you'd be able to make. I work with the idea of making it more active from attacker's point of view, but I have to keep in mind that defender won't be able to make decisions, but it's definitely in my plan.

Heartstone is way much another level since Blizzard have budget for huge advertising. I am just by myself.

It's simplier game that don't need that much attention so you can play it at work or during loading times of your other games.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You must ask (maybe you have) what is it about your game that will pull players into it?

Plants vs Zombies
is RTS. Angery Birds is actual physical manipulation. Hearthstone is choices about what card to play next to gain advantage in the Battle. For a year, I played Pokémon Go, but there the attraction was capturing Pokémon, which 95% of that is just stumbling across them in the real world. Battles at gyms were mostly wrist wrecking exercises mashing buttons, but not much skill. Those battles were you against other people’s toons, but it’s you vs AI in the handling of the fight.

In contrast, choices about how to equip my toon does not seem all that challenging unless the gear depth is so complex, it will be a challenge to understand it. Maybe it will be a wild success. :)

Btw, I’m not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to be helpful.

LegendaryOnes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Prague
The concept I work with was used by several games and all of them succeed. One of them is played to this day - Shakes and Fidget by thousands of people. I also played these games (I am gamer by myself) and I found it shallow, so I added what I missed.

Basically your current choices are who to attack, what stats to add (there is plenty of stats you can focus on and make different characters every time you play), what skills to add, what gear to buy, with what bonuses to improve your gear, what guild to join (every guild have choices of adding different bonuses).

But you inspired me with the fight issue. I am re-thinking to make it more active - something like Darkest Dungeon battle system. I quite like it and it opens my game for much more possibilities to the furure, but it will also make it 100% more difficult to develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.