Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madazrex

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
hello you lot

i have a sony alpha 330 and just wanted to know how may of you are shooting with sony cams

i see a lot of you are using nikon cannon ect.

post pics if you like from your sony to see what the images are like between the sony ranges.

list your cam model with your pic so we can have a look at the difrrances

please no editing just the photo you took

jason

madazrex

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
ok 45 looked at post

well i will set the ball rolling i love my sony dslr and i think the quality of the alpha is awsome

i have had sony decks mindisk players hifis and i think they do a good job.

Attachments

• DSC00207.jpg
    DSC00207.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 103

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
You do seem to be in an exclusive club madazrex!

At least it'll be a thread where everyone's in complete agreement. :)

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Sony DSC F717

I use a Sony DSC F717.

I bought the camera in 2002 brand new for $1200 if I recall. It has had its sensor replaced by that big general Sony recall. BUT the camera has been a faithful performer since the day I pressed the shutter button for the first time.

I retired it about a year or so ago when I purchased a Nikon D80. I loved that camera too and so did my son. So I gave it to him and he took it with him to Japan.

So I'm back using the 717 and discovering more about its many functions than I did when all I did was place it on "auto".

My plan now is to look into the Nikon D700 or the new Canon D5 MK II. I'm not sure I'd buy a Sony DSLR because they are too new at that game.

Plus, when I have a new DSLR in hand, I'll experiment with using the infrared aspects of the 717.

This shot was taken with the 717. Good luck with the thread.

BarryJ

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 81

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
post pics if you like from your sony to see what the images are like between the sony ranges.

Mine is an Alpha 200. First digital SLR and still looking for opportunities to get more practice with it but I've been really pleased with results.

Click on the pic for a bigger version...
web.jpg

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
a100
a700
dsc-w350
dsc-w55 recently converted to infrared
dsc-p150 robbed while my GF openly carried it through a slum in Sao Paolo.

what should i say. i don't like sony but i like their cameras.:eek:

can.rules

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Alpha 300 & SAL 18250

Great combination. The SAL 18250 is incredibly sharp for an ultrazoom lens. It is pretty much the only lens you need.

This one was at the Makena Big Beach, in Maui.

Attachments

• DSC07488.jpg
    DSC07488.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 72

wheelgrinder

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
Alpha 700 and some glass

a100 (oldie but goodie)
a700

11-18
16-80cz
70-300G
35G
85cz

18-200 travel lens / lightweight kit

and a 70-200/2.8 arriving tomorrow.

I recommend http://www.dyxum.com for Alpha shooters, great site.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
a700

11-18
16-80cz
70-300G
35G
85cz

Also an a700, 16-80cz (and some others, Minolta f/1.8 50mm, Sigma 10-20mm)

I really want the 85cz, just because it's such a nice lens... Not sure how much use I'd get from it though and it is a bit pricey if I'm not going to get much use from it.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Great combination. The SAL 18250 is incredibly sharp for an ultrazoom lens. It is pretty much the only lens you need.

It's a great travel lens. I took two lenese out with me when I first bought my Alpha and by the end of my holiday I'd stumped up for the SAL18250.

Perfect travel lens.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
I'm not trying to troll or derail the thread, but I've always been curious as to why people buy Sony DSLRs. Or any other brand than Canon and Nikon really.

I genuinely want to know; what is it about a Sony, or Pentax of Olympus that makes people forgo the big two brands?

Thanks, and sorry if I derail your thread OP :eek:

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
I'm not trying to troll or derail the thread, but I've always been curious as to why people buy Sony DSLRs. Or any other brand than Canon and Nikon really.

I genuinely want to know; what is it about a Sony, or Pentax of Olympus that makes people forgo the big two brands?

For me, I wanted a good starter camera. I'm not a person that buys everything Sony (like my partner) but all the reviews I read said the A200 couldn't be beat at the price. The equivalent Canon and Nikon's didn't fare as well in reviews.

Then I went to a wedding last year where the photographer was using a high-end Sony and I asked her how she found it. She raved about it and her pics looked amazing.

That's all I had to go on but I've not been disappointed at all.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I'm not sure I'd buy a Sony DSLR because they are too new at that game.
Sony is not really new to the game, Sony has simply bought Konica Minolta -- which has a very long history! You can use all those good Minolta lenses. Hence, they know how to build dslrs.

Their Sony Alpha 850 is a rather unique camera: it's a cheap way to enter the world of full frame cameras! Basically, it's a dumbed down version of the Alpha 900. If I hadn't invested some money into Nikon lenses, I'd seriously think about getting an Alpha 850, but that's just me.

can.rules

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008

For me, it was the live view. It significantly increased the WAF (wife-acceptance factor) of this purchase; I must also say I've found it useful occasionally myself (for over-the-crowd shots). Also, the in-body stabilization was a compelling feature. In general, I've been very happy with the choice. Only wish is it had better in-camera NR.

I've played with Canon's and Nikons from friends and I don't think I'm missing anything there.

wheelgrinder

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010

- In-body stabilization, making all lenses (including primes) stabilized lenses.
- Ergonomics, the a700 feels better in my hands than anything else I've tried.
- Navigation of controls. The joystick approach of the a700/a900 is brilliant.
- The excellent Carl Zeiss AF lenses (of which I would like more!).

For others, the reasons may include an existing investment in Minolta gear, particularly some great older lenses.

There is some similarity between your question about Sony vs Canon/Nikon and why someone would buy Macs instead of Dell/HP. There's much to like in both Macs and Sony Alphas that isn't immediately obvious or easy to discern from spec sheets. The whole "think different" idea?

madazrex

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
thanks for the good responce iam not alone he he

for me my friend the sony option was my starter option living in the uk i have alway wanted to get in to photograpy and had £500 to spair

so i went in to jessops and saw the alpha 330 blaged a tripod and a tamron 70-300 zoom lens and a lowepro bag

for cash so my wifye sent it off to laplan and i got it for xmas

iam a compleat novice about pohtograph and only stated taking pics with a dslr with the alpha and its all been good.

i just seem to see that every one was not taking sony aforablity good stat for me.

madazrex

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
weeton lancs uk
night time

Mine is an Alpha 200. First digital SLR and still looking for opportunities to get more practice with it but I've been really pleased with results.

Click on the pic for a bigger version...
web.jpg

i love going out and about at night time driving arroun seeing shots and things i like all the lights of the night time speak soon

jason aka madazrex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.