Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I've been a big fan of Apple's gold products for a couple years now. To me, silver and even space gray have become the new almond. There's only so much gray, grayer, and black you can take before it starts to get depressing and boring. So I bought the 2015 gold 12" MacBook when it came out and since then, all gold everything on my iOS devices (I even want a gold iMac at some point!).

That said, I know Apple has combined the rose gold and champagne gold and I now have that on my new MacBook Air, but it's such a strange color that I'm not even sure they should call it gold. Depending on the lighting it could be considered any of the following: rose gold, copper, copperish roseyish kinda sorta gold-ish, tannish gold, amberish sand, apricot etc. With this being the largest gold device yet, interested in what people think of the color.

Reactions: Big Apple

Big Apple

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
I just laughed so hard reading this because I've personally had all those versions of colors go through my head too trying to describe it. I personally love it and am keeping it, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Reactions: SHKLMRE

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Yea it's weird. I'm not sure I can say I truly like the color because I can't pinpoint any single color that it is. The best I can say is that I like that it is a Mac that isn't some shade of gray.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I do think the greys have gone boring (Space Grey was awesome on release). I’d go a classic timeless Silver if I’m after class, or the gold if I’m after bling.

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
I'm ready for a bunch of colors again like the iMacs, iBooks of old. The iPhone XR is a good start.

That said, I liked the separate gold and rose gold colors better too. The Air just looks like a worse version of each color...

Reactions: PatriotInvasion

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm ready for a bunch of colors again like the iMacs, iBooks of old. The iPhone XR is a good start.

That said, I liked the separate gold and rose gold colors better too. The Air just looks like a worse version of each color...
I feel like the rose gold never needed to exist since champagne gold was unisex enough on its own. Champagne gold was so nice and pleasant, but this mixed approach just created this chameleon color.

I actually really like the stainless steel gold shade on the XS and Series 4. I can tell they tried to add a drop of the rose tone in there, but its not overpowering enough on the stainless steel to detract from the deep yellow shade of the gold. Hoping the next gen of Macs get some combo of glass with stainless steel accents. That could be a nice look.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Haven’t got my Gold MBA yet.

But I loved it instantly on pic a lot more then the Rose Gold of the MB.
So I ordered it as fast I had figured out what configuration I wanted/needed.

Will have more to say when I get it in my hands.
Too long waiting in Sweden :(

I don’t know if my Rose Gold/White iPhoneSE will be a buddy to this?
Never been so fond of that color on the phone either. The Gold in iPadAir2 is much better.

So maybe next iMac I’ll buy will have Gold color too ;)

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
All of Apple's gold products are gross, IMO.

Space gray is quickly getting played out, so silver now looks so fresh and clean again.

soaddk

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Aarhus, Denmark
Wife just bought the gold. They had all 3 colors in the store but she ended up with gold.

I thought it looked very nice. NOT quite for me - But nice.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
The gold is very nice-looking in the store; I just found it a little too rose gold-ish for my taste.

I returned mine and ordered Space gray. I know the color is getting old, but silver holds equally little appeal for me.

Michael Cavada

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Pennsylvania
My wife wanted a new 2018 Rose Gold MacBook. Well they discontinued that Macbook color and didn't refresh the model. So I ordered the new Air in gold. I'm glad the it has that Rose tinge in it. I wasn't sure until I found this thread. It fooled my wife. ;)

Oppie1

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Huntsville, Al
My wife wanted a new 2018 Rose Gold MacBook. Well they discontinued that Macbook color and didn't refresh the model. So I ordered the new Air in gold. I'm glad the it has that Rose tinge in it. I wasn't sure until I found this thread. It fooled my wife. ;)
When it comes to cars,sneakers,computers....I’ve always liked white/black/grey. It just looks more sleak. I’m not a fan of all the flashy colors. I’m very happy with my new SG air I just purchased

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.