Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iserna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2021
Hi I have a LG 27UL850 W 27 monitor with a power delivery of 60W connected via USB-C to a MacBook Pro 16 with M1Pro.

When I connect the Mac to the monitor I see a message that says that the computer is not charging but after a few minutes I see that this message is no longer there and the computer is charging.

I am afraid if this could be bad for the Mac and I should always charge it with the Magsafe or I can charge it calmly via USB-C even if the monitor only contributes a maximum of 60W.

Thanks !

Reactions: haruhiko

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
It will charge more slowly than the 140w charger, naturally.
Worst case scenario, it will slowly discharge under load.
Shouldn’t hurt the machine, though, back in the day I charged my 15” 2013 retina off of a 45w MagSafe adapter from a MacBook Air a few times. Machine was fine but that poor brick was HOT.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I think it depends on your computer’s actual energy consumption. If it’s sitting there doing nothing special I think probably 60W is sufficient to charge it. If it’s under heavy load of course it won’t be enough.

I have the 27UL850 too and it’s good for what it costs (I got it under US$500).

syncopy

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
I have the same monitor (great choice), and it does charge fine. If you're just browsing the web, watching videos, and editing docs or some photos, it will charge at medium to slow speeds. If you do more CPU/GPU intensive tasks, you might hit an equilibrium where the battery % doesn't budge (you are charging as fast as you're draining), or a really slow battery drain. It might also be a good idea to use the HDMI connection instead of USB-C, as USB-C will constantly charge your battery and can negatively impact longterm battery health and longevity.

iserna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2021
It is very convenient to have a single cable connected to the mac so I am very happy with being able to charge the Mac from the monitor even if it is slow. Thanks for the reply!

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Does anyone know how to adjust the brightness on the UL27850 from your keyboard or from within Mac OS?

I have both the 27UK850 and 27UN850 (they look identical and I'm pretty sure they are different serials because I bought them a year apart) and the keyboard screen brightness only controls the brightness of my MacBook Pro monitor.

Reactions: GnrlyMrly

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have both the 27UK850 and 27UN850 (they look identical and I'm pretty sure they are different serials because I bought them a year apart) and the keyboard screen brightness only controls the brightness of my MacBook Pro monitor.
Ah, same here. Are you able to control the brightness of the LG monitor from Control Center? Or do you have to do it manually using the button on the monitor?

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Ah, same here. Are you able to control the brightness of the LG monitor from Control Center? Or do you have to do it manually using the button on the monitor?

Just tried it - cannot control brightness through software. Need to use physical monitor buttons, which is actually really easy to do and well designed by LG.

Reactions: GnrlyMrly

Pavlvs

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2023
I have both the 27UK850 and 27UN850 (they look identical and I'm pretty sure they are different serials because I bought them a year apart)
Are there any advantages of getting the newer 27UN850 over the 27UK850? I am looking at getting one and it’s a $50 difference. Worth the upgrade or save the money and get the UK? Planning to use with MacBook Pro.

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Are there any advantages of getting the newer 27UN850 over the 27UK850? I am looking at getting one and it’s a $50 difference. Worth the upgrade or save the money and get the UK? Planning to use with MacBook Pro.

I had them right next to each other and literally couldn't tell the difference. Functionally they were identical. Design wise they were identical. I would save the $50 with whichever one is cheaper.

• Love
Reactions: Pavlvs

Pavlvs

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2023
I had them right next to each other and literally couldn't tell the difference. Functionally they were identical. Design wise they were identical. I would save the $50 with whichever one is cheaper.
Thank you so much! This is exactly the answer I was looking for. The specs seemed so close. I didn’t really feel like spending more if they are practically the same panel.

My main concern was people talking about the washed out colors and the possible issues with the USB C and MacBook Pro (display not waking after sleeping). I wasn’t sure if the newer one was better.

Pavlvs

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2023
Do you know if the USB A ports in the back transfer at the same speeds for external HDs? I noticed a review of the 27UK850 with slow transfer speeds. If not, no worries. Thanks!

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Just tried it - cannot control brightness through software. Need to use physical monitor buttons, which is actually really easy to do and well designed by LG.

FYI - the app MonitorControl can give you native brightness / contrast controls.

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Do you know if the USB A ports in the back transfer at the same speeds for external HDs? I noticed a review of the 27UK850 with slow transfer speeds. If not, no worries. Thanks!

Yes. Very slow transfer speeds and low power output. Really should be used as a last resort for any USB hub functionality.

Reactions: Pavlvs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.